Not 100% sure...

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
aaron
Location 1: Halifax, N.S.

Not 100% sure...

Post by aaron »

but I am sure someone will be.They are from 3.5"-4". Labelled L-333. Taken ten minutes after introducing them.Not great pics but hopefully good enough. Thanks in advance.

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

No L333 for sure!!!
This is Panaque sp L206 which I think is a different species than Panaque changae

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
aaron

Post by aaron »

I was just looking over L-226, quite similar but 2 are at least 4" and the other 6 are not much smaller.
L-206? Is that good news? Just wondering how they compare with L-333 for availability, price ect. Did I fair well?
They sure seem like the wood.
Thanks for the quick reply yannfulliquet.
pureplecs
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: USA, Florida

Post by pureplecs »

Definitely not L333...

I've only seen but a pic or two of the L206 but what I can gather... it appears that the markings aren't as clear on the head and the striping is a little bit different on the body at minimum... (I'm sure it is possible for there to be "other" differences) but Silurus had itendified this lad's fish as an L206 (which going by the caudal does not match yours)...http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... php?t=7324

And from Transfish (notice the caudal)
http://www.transfish.de/LCode/L206.jpg

I would lean more towards the L226 but perhaps you should give them time to settle (as I hate to go against Yann's opinion!) to be able to tell for sure. Here is a link to my L226 here on Planet Catfish...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/im ... ge_id=7567
aaron

Post by aaron »

These guys are great! 2 have claimed a cave each. I brought them in for someone else but think I'll hold on to them.
Are these commonly seen in the hobby?
Any info would be great as I don't seem to be able to find much. Personal experiences?
I was trying to compare the pics... Top: L-226. Middle: L-206 Bottom: L-??? What do you think? Thanks Aaron
pureplecs

Post by pureplecs »

I would say that the top two are L206... at the least. The bottom two look more like the L226 but...???
aaron

Post by aaron »

Sorry pureplecs, I should have been more clear. The first pic is from transfish of the L-226 and he second is the pic from transfish of the L-206. The third is mine.
pureplecs

Post by pureplecs »

Doh! Thanks for clarifying. That top pic has interesting striping for an L226, although I've not seen any juvies, only adults so that is perhaps where my malfunction was. I still see in that L206 that the stripes are broken in the caudal and the markings not as clear in the head region as stated in my original post... Where's Cup and Yann??? :wink:
aaron

Post by aaron »

Another pic, intersting color variations. The juvies in those pics really throw me off with the stripes and color. We have 8 in total, this one is in with 2 others.

EDIT:Sorta looks like a bit of spotting on the caudal fin,a bit like majek's L-206?

Return to “What is my catfish?”