"Abdunklungsmethode"

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Super Coryman
Location 1: Malta

"Abdunklungsmethode"

Post by Super Coryman »

Can any one explain the "Abdunklungsmethode" (The method of darkening the water) to me?? please :o
Corys RULE !!!
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi,

this simply means darkening the tank by using black paperboard or something similar to avoid light hitting the tank during the day. Of course one should switch off the tank lights too ;). There are to main ideas behind this method:

1. Some Corydoras species spawn during night and eat the eggs before next sunrise. That way the cory keeper doesn't even realize they spawned. When darkening the tank they also spawn the day over and the keeper can observe.

2.It also seems to be a stimulating factor (rainy season --> less light).

Greetings... Achim
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Achim!

Do you have any idea of the species of Coryodras involved into such thing, which species do spawnat night?
So far all my species have spawn either in the morning or late in the afternoon...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi Yann,

according to Ever's Cory book C. haraldschultzi, C. leopardus, C. pulcher and similar species and C. eques. According to Hans those species spawn for lack of gloaming hours (where those species (are said to) usually spawn) in common aquaria during night.

Achim

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”