What is my catfish?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

What is my catfish?

Post by apistomaster »

In the August, 2006 issue of TFH there is a Horst Linke photo of the ventral view of an unidentified pleco on page 57. This looks exactly like a group of L199 that I have. Aside from the fact I am trying to breed them they have proven themselves to be a specialized snail eater, especially the common pond snail. 5 three inch L199 wiped out the large pond snail population by 95% in a week in two 20L tanks. Their importer told me they were accidentally sold to me as he had the same plans to breed them as I'm told they are rarely exported. planetcatfish confirms the paucity of experience with L199. They are extremely carnivorous; avidly eating frozen blood worms and slurp live blackworms like spaghetti.
I started a thread under SA Loricarids requesting more experiences with this pleco. They beat out puffers and loaches when it comes to biological control methods of snail control while staying small. Probably less than 4 inches TL, they fit in well in even smaller tanks which I consider a plus. These are not Peckoltia maccus, guaranteed. I will post some photos of my own taken in a photo tank so it's slender profile and markings can be compared easier with other L###'s.
Larry Waybright
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 271
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Snail eaters??
Sounds more like a Leporacanthicus species...but I ain't aware of any looking like an Hypancistrus sp L199...not aware of them eating snailes either!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

what's my catfish

Post by apistomaster »

yannfulliquet,
Thank you for taking a stab at this L199. I checked out all the Leporacnthicus on our cat-a-log and they are all very different from my fish. Mine are much more streamlined and lack the showy dorsal fins.
I just washed up a photo tank and found the right size glass to confine them within the depth of field I have available to work with. It wll be a few days before I can post photos.
I'm very serious about their taste for pond snails. This is what makes them so interesting and that they are very comfortable with lighted environment. I believe I have 3 males and 2 females. The dominant male actively defends the best cave, the males wrestle with each other and alternately chase or entice the females to their caves. They do this stuff all daylong in plain view except when I try to take photos. Then the males will stick their heads just inside the cave entances.
They don't look like Hemiancistrus, Peckoltia or other small plecos especially the upper snouts that seems to be what they use to extract snails from the shell. My source also verified what seemed to be their snail eating abilities. He also has 5 or 6 specimens and it was only by accident I received any. He sells mostly plecos by the tens of thousands and thinks these are some of the few in the US currently.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “What is my catfish?”