How many fish for a 30gal?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

How many fish for a 30gal?

Post by Cory_lover »

Hey all, juzz got a 3ft tank, 120litres or 30gal....its onli got 10 neons and 1 gupy in there...need to have the cycle first...wanna have about 3-4 dianemas and 1 hoplo in there...but question is how many other corys can i keep in there?

Future inhabitants might include checkerboard cichlids, more neons or cardinals...
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well there is usually a rule that state that 1cm of fish for 1 liter of water!
But even if your tank is 120 liter , it is the maximum volume when filled up to the to and with nothing else than water in it, you will never have 120liter but more likely 100l, so the full grown size of all your fish should be put together and should not go over 100cm in your case, so I would say that you are pretty filled up all ready and even maybe a bit overpopulated.
Secondly what species of hoplo do you talk about as they have quite a good range of size!!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I usually work on a slightly different theory to Yann, mine is 1 inch (25 mm) of fish (that is body length) to 3 square inches (6.5 sq cm) of surface area. This is based on oxygen being absorbrd at the surface without the help of air bubbles or filter flow. Both of these would increase the capacity of the water to maintain more fish.

I am not sure that your neons or cardinals would be that safe with Hoplo's though.

Ian
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

Post by Cory_lover »

No, no. My tank is not full because all the fish u see on my list are in my other two tanks. Like i said earlier, its onli got 10 neons and 1 guppy in there. The fish i'm gonna move into the 30gal are the dianemas, hoplos and Corydoras virginae.

The Hoplo is Hoplosternum thoracatum, its only about 7cm right now though...
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”