Blue/Black Stomach Sickness

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Blue/Black Stomach Sickness

Post by ClayT101 »

Anyone know what this is and/or how it can be cured? Right now my albino bristlenose has it. I know other plecos get it as well. I had a gold nugget that died from it, and I know of other peoples zebras that have had it. Any ideas? Thanks
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

I think that thats cause by internal bacteria. try to purchase fish deworm for your plec... U could also use chloromycetin for its intestines.. Not sure but hope it helps :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

some plecos stomachs turn dark when they eat dark colored food. this happened on a chaestoma i used to have, i could tell when he had eaten an algae wafer as opposed to a shrimp pellet by loking at his stomach when he was on the glass.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

I would guess that a darkened abdomen would be caused by hemorrhage or internal infection. I'm not sure why you would use deworming products to treat internal infection. I've lost a few plecos that had darkened abdomens after they were dead, but were just a little less active and lethargic, for a day, maybe two, prior to their loss. I once lost 5 zebras to a pH crash in a discus tank, and they all showed signs of hemorrhage in their abdomen and also at their gills and in their fins. Establishing the cause of the discoloration would be preferable, but if you can't, treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic, along with an increased frequency of water changes should give the fish the best chances of survival, IME.

Barbie
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the albinos abdomen, and it was back to being almost normal. He has also resumed eating, so I think everyting is going to be okay :)
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”