L095 disease help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: L095 disease help

Post by Bas Pels »

MarcW wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:44 Now for the dissection.

IMG_20190606_195443.jpg
Having dissected fishes myself - not for diagnostic purposes - I would not assume the swollen organ to be the swim bladder, but the intestines. Apparently inflated.

The internal cavity of a fish is a bony box, with iver, intestines and so in inside it. If you take this out, there is a few things on top of the bony box, namely the kidneys (shaped way different then ours) the gonads and the swim bladder.

In some fishes, the swim bladder is encasulated in a bony contruction, I'm not certain whether this is the case in Loricarids. But regardless this, the swim bladder is not in the bony box you've shown

Inflated, empty intestines - that could spell disaster for the fish: Something went wrong with the digestive system. At least, that would be my guess.
cats have whiskers
MarcW
I've donated: $152.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: L095 disease help

Post by MarcW »

Thanks Bas, interesting information. Despite showing slight signs of the crud on their skin/scales again, the fish are eating very well, and a lot more active for it, they also now appear to have normal colouration, before they were pale.

My main concern is the pale gills at the moment. I'm hoping that the crud/pale gills is them getting used to clean, non medicated water again, and as they are eating it'll help them get over it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”