Amazon catfish shopping

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
robotron
Location 1: New Jersey
Interests: planted geographic tanks,catfish,cichlids,ciprinids

Amazon catfish shopping

Post by robotron »

I tore down my 29 gallon planted Amazon catfish tank last week.I wanted to replace the substrate.I had some awful looking epoxy coated pebbles in there.They were too large in size and causing detritus to build up in the substrate.I replaced this with 30 lb.s of Volcanit which is a nice dark brown color and contains ammendments for growing plants.While I had the tank empty,I decided to attempt disinfecting the plants for snails and algae.I emersed the plants in a 1:19 bleach/water solution for 3 minutes upon removal,and placed the fish and rinsed plants into an empty 20 with a box filter.I surveyed the situation and decided this was a good time to go fish shopping.Since I had and income tax check,4 more empty tanks,and a "birthday gift"ride to one of my favorite stores,I was stoked.I had previously purchased Ageneiosus Atronasus at this store and currently have 3 of them,I had them in mind the whole week!They didn't have the Ageneiosus at all,but they had many other Neotropical cats.I spotted some Brachyrhamdia (Meesi?) and many nice loricariads.I couldn't convince the guy to sell me the 3" Hypoptama that I coveted.It wasn't for sale apparently.Oh well.I had lost my single adult Trachelyichthys Exilis in the previous weeks and was happy to find that they had a tank full of juveniles.I purchased three of these great fish.I saw many of the common white w/black horizontal stripe Otocinclus and a single Oto type that was larger and in a tank by itself.I bought that fish and have been having fun trying to id this fish from the Cat-E-Log.It doesn't have the black horizontal and the most notable feature is the goldish irridescence on it's flanks.Nice fat fish.I bought another Tatia to go with the one I currently have.They had it marked as Tatia Nevai.All in all a great day.All the fish are getting fat on glassworms,algae and flakes in a 10 gallon quarantine tank.After dipping the plants in Lime-It,I replanted the tank today.If all goes well within a few weeks I'll have most of my Amazon cats back in their home in a few weeks.I might leave some in a small tank filled with a warm rainwater mix and try to spawn them.I was thinking of large amounts of glassworms and using Ehfifix as a spawining medium/egg hider.I have now have 4 Microglanis in addition to the pair of Tatia Nevai?.Perhaps I'll try each species in seperate tanks.The Tatia that I've owned for a while is very fat.Perhaps providing it with a potential mate after a long time alone might help.It's worth a shot.Thanks for putting up with my blabbering on!Happy fishkeeping.
Looking for Hara,Hyalobagrus,Chiloglanis
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

sorry man..i dont know what the hell your talking about :) ...maybe if you posted some pics of your cats i could better understand. I just got lost trying to read what was what..I AGREE THOUGH..amazon catfish shopping is FUN!!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”