Deworming Imported Cories

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Deworming Imported Cories

Post by philtre »

Hi all,

was wondering if anyone deworms your newly bought wild imports? If so, how do you go about doing it?

Thanks for your inputs!

cheers,
phil
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

Post by Cory_lover »

i'm not sure how to do it. But i presume you could use some internal medication for fish. Why would u need to deworm corys anyway? How do u noe they've got worms?
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

i've heard of using a half-dose of hex-a-mit to de-worm loaches. never used it myself, but if it's gentle enough for young loaches, it's probably gentle enough for cories.
-Liz
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

We use Levanisol, but must admit never had to use on cories yet, usually livebearers are the hosts. Apart from waste products are there any other protusions from the fishes anal area.
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Post by Charly EON »

Cories can harbour a wide range of worm types. Mediication to use depends mainly on the type of worm encountered.In order to correctly identify them you need to dissect one sick fish and look the organs with microscope. Worms can be found everywhere not only in the digestive tract. Enkysted stages (metacercarians and plerocercoid for instance) can not de treated. If heavily infestated they will become emaciated and anemic and will slowly die. Secondary bacterial infection are very frequent and must be treated in the same time.

the basic dewormers I use are mebendazole, flubendazole(for nematodes and trematodesà and praziquantel (for cestodes)

Hope this helps.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Charly are these medicenes readily available from aquatic shops in france or do you get them from a vets?
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

thanks all for your inputs!

I was wondering if you deworm them as a precautionary measure or medicate only if and when needed.

also, any comments about the dosage?

cheers
phil

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”