Suitable tank mates, I need your advice!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pedro281

Suitable tank mates, I need your advice!

Post by pedro281 »

Hi All
A little while ago I bought a bristlenose, and was told that this fish is fine with other plec's. I then bought a Queen Arabesque, again being told it would be fine, even with the bristlenose.
Guess what? Bristlenose chases the hell out of Queen A., who rarely gets any food that I can see.
My dilema is who goes and who stays. My LFS (not where I got them by the way) is happy to take either. I like them both (Strangely fond of the bristlenose!!)
If I keep the britlenose, can anyone suggest a new tankmate (tank 150 litres, 2 gourami's, 3 clowns, some tetras etc.)
If I keep the Queen A., what can i put with it that won't harass it, and is also a good algea eater?
All advice gratefully recieved, and thanks in advance,

Ped
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I'd try adding some more hiding spots for both plecos before I got rid of one. It sounds like they're both competing for the same space, IMO.

Barbie
pedro281

Post by pedro281 »

Hi Barbie,
Ive got 2 pieces of planted bogwood, both making caves, another unfurnished piece, and at least 2 caves made from rocks. Plus lots of planting. It just seems as though the bristlenose has claimed the whole tank!!
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

What size is your tank? I have a bristlenose (very bossy one) and he is in with my Queen A. as well as a few other very small plecos in an 80 gallon tank. Is your tank large enough you can feed in two places? I feed on both sides of the tank and that seems to separate them some for feeding. I notice the little guys all eat on the same side and the larger ones leave them alone for the most part.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”