Catfish Identification

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
JG
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario, Canada
Interests: God, family, fish

Catfish Identification

Post by JG »

Jay's Aquaria
http://jays_aquaria.webs.com/
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

This is what used to be Peckoltia vittata, although I doubt that it still has the same name.
Check the Cate-Log under Loricaridae, Peckoltia.
JG

Post by JG »

I'm by no means a catfish expert but I was initially leaning towards Panaque maccus but was wondering what you more experienced pleco lovers thought. I did check on the profile for Peckoltia vittata however the picture submissions don't seem to match with the picture I've posted. The Panaque maccus photo submissions seem to match, especially in the face markings.

What do you think?

J
Jay's Aquaria
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:12)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

Panaque maccus is often sold under the name Peckoltia vittata. your fish is an Panaque maccus.

Mallemalle
Soup is good food!
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

JG wrote:I'm by no means a catfish expert but I was initially leaning towards Panaque maccus but was wondering what you more experienced pl*co lovers thought
J
I am no pl*co lover, and it shows, doesn't it? Your Q & A confront me with a totally different problem, however.
Both names don't have synonyms, although - as Mallemalle states - they are both used for the same fish. So officially this can't be squeezed into the Synonyms list. Well, this will take some serious thinking....

Glad that you know your fish's correct name and even better: you've found it yourself. Well done.
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:12)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

Marc van Arc wrote: - as Mallemalle states - they are both used for the same fish. So officially this can't be squeezed into the Synonyms list. Well, this will take some serious thinking....
i wouldnt go as far as calling it a synonym, rather an missidentification, these are two totally different species, even from different genus, and since both fishes is described i dont think we need more confusion by connecting these species than the aquarium books/trade have already done.

M
Last edited by mallemalle on 11 Sep 2005, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Soup is good food!
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

I couldn't agree with you more; let's get rid of the confusion. That is why the synonyms list is being set up in the first place. But this particular case doesn't fit and even isn't allowed to be on the list, because, as you say correctely, these are two different, described species.
Thus I take it we will have some more Q's on this one in the future. So be it.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think it's a case of multiple fish sold under the same common name, and then the common name being used to find the latin name. So someone sees that it's a "Clown pleco", and this is ONE of the names for Peckoltia Vittata, although the "official" common name is "Candy stripe pleco". The "official" common name for Panaque Maccus is "Clown pleco". Easy to see how this gets a bit confussing: The whole-salers list says "Clown Pleco", the shop tries to find the correct scientific name, and looks in a book which lists Clown Pleco as the common name for P. Vittata.

The fish is certainly . Make sure it's got access to some wood to feed on.

--
Mats
JG

Post by JG »

It has a huge piece of wood to chow down on!
Jay's Aquaria

Return to “What is my catfish?”