a few catfish questions...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

a few catfish questions...

Post by Bathos »

i was reading about biotopes and came across this website: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/corydoradinae.htm. there are a few things that didn't sound quite right to me or seemed somewhat odd, so i thought i'd ask here about them.

is this true? "many species have the ability to leave the water and move out on beaches when food is scarce"

"Corydoras catfish are diurnal fish" i thought they were crepuscular. are most Cory species crepuscular or diurnal?

"The eggs are somewhat sensitive to fungus, so the tank should be kept as dark as possible" does light encourage fungus on eggs? is it that fungus likes light or is it that the eggs degrade in light?

"Young should be fed small live foods such as white worms, Tubifex, brine shrimp nauplii, innards of fresh peas, and water fleas" are pea innards good fry food?

thanks for putting up with all my questions everyone. i'm incredibly and incurably curious :roll:

-Liz
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

is this true? "many species have the ability to leave the water and move out on beaches when food is scarce"
No. <i>Corydoras</i> may be able to breathe atmospheric air (several catfish groups are capable of doing so), but they certainly do not get out and walk away from their habitat when conditions are bad.
The only catfshes capable of doing that are clariids.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Ehm Siluris; both Callichthys and Hoplosternum (megalechis etc) are known to cross wet grass and mud to find a new pool. They can 'walk' almost as easily as a Clarias....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Sorry, I stand corrected. But <i>Corydoras</i> sure ain't capable of doing that.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Agreed! They just lay and dry up when ended up next to the tank.
I can rememberup ending the furniture trying to catch a squeaking Callichthys who had his own ideas of moving about in the house.....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Bathos,
I would agree with the statement that most (I can not say all) Corydoras are diurnal. I have obsereved many spp. in many environments and they are always very active throughout the day. They are actually most active between 12:00pm and 3:00 pm but I think the main reason for this is that the water is as hot, and low in O2, as it gets during that time period so they come up for more breaths. At night the predators come out and smart corys are well hidden.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

SG_Eurystomus wrote:Agreed! They just lay and dry up when ended up next to the tank.
I can rememberup ending the furniture trying to catch a squeaking Callichthys who had his own ideas of moving about in the house.....
I was appalled to find my female hoplo on the floor. She was still alive. Lost her barbels as a result of it, but they grew back and she made a full recovery.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”