Info On Acanthicus Adonis?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

Info On Acanthicus Adonis?

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

HI I AM TRYING TO FIND AS MUCH INFO AS I CAN ON ACANTHICUS ADONIS...IVE FOUND QUITE A BIT BUT NOTHING FROM ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS ONE

ALSO WHERE TO BUY ONE WOULD BE GREAT...IM IN MINNESOTA
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!
Well I hope for you that you have one big pool for them as they grow really large 3-4 feet long!!!
Tell us more about the Tank or pool that will host him
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

YES IVE HEARD THEY CAN GET THAT LONG...I AM HOPING TO FIND A SMALLER JUVENILE AND LET HIM GROW...HIS EVENTUAL HOME WILL BE A 140 LONG, HOWEVER THAT WILL BE A YEAR OR TWO DOWN THE ROAD...AGAIN IM HOPING TO FIND A TINY ONE...ALSO I HAVE HEARD CONFLICTING INFO REGARDING THIS PLECO...I HAVE READ NUMEROUS REPORTS THAT STATE ACAN ADONIS ONLY REACH 18 INCHES...BUT I HAVE SEEN A FEW WHERE 3 F33T PLUS IS MENTIONED...IM WONDERING IF SOMECONFUSION BETWEEN ACAN ADONIS AND ACAN HYSTRIX ISNT HAPPENING...ANY IDEAS
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Hi,
I have seen one, and that speciemen was 1 m long...more then 3 feet.
I'm not 100% sure but it was imported as a Acanthicus adonis and very expensive.

Janne
Last edited by Janne on 28 Mar 2003, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

my apologies for posting in all caps...my system at work runs on caps

sorry
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

just a note...according to fishbase..max size os Acanthicus adonis=16 inches...does anyone here own one of these beauties??
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Here's one, with yellowish white dots. I was told that the larger they become their dots would eventually dissapear? Any comments?

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

just a note...according to fishbase..max size os Acanthicus adonis=16 inches...does anyone here own one of these beauties??
That's funny, I just checked FishBase and they said 20.6 cm SL (8"). Reference for this size is taken from the soon-to-be-published CLOFFSCA, so it's accurate I guess.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Maybe fishbase screwed up again; I've heard about 3 foot specimen for a long time; but the biggest Acanthicus I've seen was about 45-50 cm (without tailfilaments! these beasties get HUGE).
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
tasing12

I have one

Post by tasing12 »

Hello i am new here i thought i would let u know i have one. I have had it for about 6 months now and it is my favorite. He is the boss of the fish tank he is only about 8 inches and doesnt seem to be growing. There is realy not much more i can tell u about him as i also am looking for info. I do know he is very territorial and eats about anything. Hope this helps
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

I saw this site where a guy had this great big tank in his house. Fish were mostly big pims (TSNs, B. Jureunses, B. Flavicans, etc) , pl*cs and rays. The adonis here was all dark grey and a meter long. By that time, I'm sure the spots had already disappeared. His tank was well over 1000 gals and was in his living room. It looks like the living room used to host an indoor garden. This garden, I think, became his tank. I say I think because it does look like one. I'll try to get the site again.
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

Silurus wrote: That's funny, I just checked FishBase and they said 20.6 cm SL (8"). Reference for this size is taken from the soon-to-be-published CLOFFSCA, so it's accurate I guess.
Fishbase is a pile when it comes to pleco's...Acanthicus Adonis is a monster, here's a picture and an Article from Biotope to back that up... http://www.biotope.com/Acanthicus.html

That being said, I don't think a 140 will be large enough to house an Adult Adonis. Personally I wouldn't keep one unless I had at least a 300 gallon tank and more realistically a large pond. If your looking for a larger pleco w/ a Lyretail...maybe you'd be better served by looking into "Papa" Panaque's... There seems to be a couple different varriations coming out of Iquitos, my favorite is the version w/ the white lyretail....L090? 1 adult panaque would probably be fine in your 140 assuming proper filtration and adequate tank maintanence (ie a lot of poop siphoning).

As far as getting pleco's @ LFS in MN... there are a couple that do carry Adonis from time to time. I know WoF had 1 a couple years ago, and I'm sure they'd be willing to order you one. Aqualand in Mpls and Forest Lake Pets would be the others that I would think might have one or be able to get one. I know Forest Lake Pets had 2 14"+ L024's last weekend along with Flyer Cats (L235) and some other really good looking larger species pleco's... I'd probably talk to them 1st.

btw... are you a club member http://www.mn-aquarium.org/ ? The Spring Auction has just been anounced for May 3rd ... you could always come and look their.
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Well!
In Datz of January 2003, an article was publish about the breeding account of Acanthicus histrix, but by looking at some of the pictures and especially the one from the young, I believe they are Acanthicus adonis instead, the fishes were caught in the Amazon in Peru and sent to a Zoo called the Parc Merveilleux in Luxembourg, they were place in a huge South American tank with many other species, if I remeber correctly the tank was 30'000 liters big, they spawn in a cave , around 1000 youngster were collected, the 2 fishes involved in the spawning were 60cm( 24 inches) long, according to the author of the article they can easily achieve the double!
Cheers
Yann
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

hi all i have been talking to shawn at biotope...(by the way if anyone is interested he is selling his business in Montreal...if anyone is interested maybe we could make a partnership as he is selling it at a third of its value..!!!) anyway he sd he has seen acanthicus over 3 feet...the problem it seems is telling if they are hystrix or adonis as as has been noted in this forum they lose their spots with maturity...i love this website everyone here gets in on the action...although i have temp put off the search for an adonis i would love to have one in the future...i also just recently purchased a leporacanthicus galaxias...a gorgeous lil vamp...i bury krill in the substrate near him and watch him root it out...its quite cool...anyway lets keep this forum open about acanthicus as we have seen so little is known of them and maybe down the road we can figure out the nuts and bolts..

ben
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

We have had both of these fish in our shop at around 10 inch. The Adonis we currently have in are around 4inch. Even larger specimens of the Adonis seem to keep there spots at least on the ones that we have had and sold. As for the Hystrix its black anyway and on appearance is much more prickly. I have articles stating these fish can reach upto 36inch maybe so for the Hystrix but I don't think this is th case for the Adonis maybe 12-15 inch.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Finally found the link to that large tank I was talking to you about. Enjoy the pics. Don't say we didn't warn you.

http://216.239.35.120/translate_c?hl=en ... otrygon.de

Try that. Check at the pics almost half way down.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

STINGRAY wrote:Even larger specimens of the Adonis seem to keep there spots at least on the ones that we have had and sold. I have articles stating these fish can reach upto 36inch maybe so for the Hystrix but I don't think this is th case for the Adonis maybe 12-15 inch.
I have an Adonis at work that is around the 2ft mark, which still has reasonable spotting on the fins. I don't consider this a big one, I've seen them 50% bigger again.
This fish totally dominates all the other Loricariids in a 1000 gallon aquarium, so their potential size has to be seriously considered before obtaining one.
Pete
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

Hi coelacanth,

Did you get your adonis at that size? I was wondering how long it'll take my 3" adonis to grow to that size! :shock:
Chill
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

I have a hystrix that is about 5" and I have noticed it love to eat on roots. The poo looks just like that from my panaqulos'es, a distinct wood color.

Are these plecos like many others, they addapt their size to living conditions or will they outgrow a tank like gibbies do?
I love L-numbers
coelacanth
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

polkadot wrote: Did you get your adonis at that size?
Sorry for the delay, I didn't pick up on this. The A. adonis at work was acquired at more or less the length it is now. However, I like to think it's improved in condition somewhat since then!
Pete
Zebra
Location 1: Essex, England
Interests: Fishkeeping, My Cats

Post by Zebra »

Thought you might like to see my Adonis,
He seems to be growing ALL the time! He's about 6 inches at the moment, exc tail! Had him for about six months now. Is fairly territorial, not too bad tho. He has his fav spot, and eats anything i feed. He's in a 100 gallon at the moment, but will be moved to a much larger tank eventually. If he does grow to 3 foot, then he'll have to be rehomed!!! Or I'll build a pond in the garden, give it a glass lid and a BIG heater!! hee hee!! A beautiful fish tho.
One thing i saw the other day was really cool, he's learnt that i feed the cardinals in the afternoon with small micro pellets, these slowly drift down the the bottom of the tank, where the plecs have a nibble, but he basically sits up on his tail and sucks the pellets into his mouth before they hit the ground! Hard to explain - hope you get the idea! It was really cool tho!! :)
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

believe me i know what youre talking about...i used to have a hypost. that used to swim upside down and eat floating pellets...he got so damn lazy that i had to make sure i fed him every night b4 lights out...lol :lol:

they are quite intelligent...my Lep. cf galaxias has one spot he likes to sit in and when i first got him i would put some food in the substrate in front of him...after a month when i put my hand down there he would know he was getting a treat...great fish ill post a pic when i get a digi cam

ben
GER1023
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: LA, California
Location 2: Los Angeles County, USA
Interests: Cichlids n Pleco's

Post by GER1023 »

This is a pic of one that has lost the spots reported to me 1 meter long of 3' 4". They are massive creatures that require an even bigger tank or pond.

Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

How much do ones 6-8 inches sell for? I got one for £55 (equivalent to $85 U.S. and would like to know if that was a bargain.

Its name is Godzilla.

Are the long tail filaments included in all those length estimates?
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

i have seen some 2-3 inch ones for $15 before
Yann

Post by Yann »

Chrysichthys wrote: Are the long tail filaments included in all those length estimates?
Hi!

Usually the filaments are not included in the lenght given for a fish!
Cheers
Yann

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”