Interesting Observation of Dianema

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cory_lover
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Melbourne
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Corydoras fanatic

Interesting Observation of Dianema

Post by Cory_lover »

hey all~

point of this post is to let people know what i observed last nite. When i went to my tank which contained my 2 Dianema urostriata, i noticed one was on its side, and halfway buried beneath the gravel. It wasn't buried headdown into the gravel, but more of burying its belly into the gravel.

P:S: My substrate is half gravel half sand.

Anyone who has kept this fish noticed this before? Is it a good sign or a bad sign of things to come????
I speak 12 languages fluently. English is my bestest. - Bush
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

I have not seen this behaviour as you describe . In tanks with sand I have seen them dive into the sand, if frightened or disturbed and have also seen them act dead when I have tried to catch them. let us know how they fare.
Cory_lover

Post by Cory_lover »

the dianema is alrite...i don't think there's anything wrong with it...but the thing is that when it rests on the bottom or on rocks, it always keeps its dorsal and caudal fin closed up...is this coz it's too lazy??? cause the other one doesn't do that.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Coincidentally, I've just bought some. I've read that they require a slightly acid pH, so if you're having problems, you might want to try some black-water extract, which I plan to do when they're settled in and feeding.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Cory_lover

Post by Cory_lover »

what's blackwater extract? all i noe is that they make your water acidic and soft..but my water is already soft and acidic...what else do they do?? I heard from somewhere that they practically turn your water brown...is this true?? If so, is it good or bad?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Blackwater habitats are those in which the high level of tannins and humic acids that leaches out of dead vegetation falling in the water turns the water tea-colored and very acidic (pH as low as 4). Blackwater extract replicates this in your tank.
It will stain the water brown and lower the pH, but if used judiciously, it really can bring out colors of your fish.
Of course, a number of fish come from blackwater hbiatas and only do well in tea-colored, very acidic water in your tank. Some Asian examples are harlequin rasboras (<i>Rasbora kalochroma</i>), pearl gouramies (<i>Trichogaster leerii</i>) and two-spot cats (<i>Mystus bimaculatus</i>).
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Would you say Dianema urostriata fits into that category? The cat-eLog and David Sands's guide to South Americans both say acidic pH. Axelrod's Atlas says 7.5.

I used API proper pH to take it down to 6.5 because my LFS was out of blackwater. The fish are feeding and seem fine. In the long term I don't want to use Proper pH because it does too many other things in addition to setting the pH. For my liking, anyway; I would rather put up with tea-coloured water.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Nope, Dianema is generally a whitewater fish. A pH of 6.5 is fine for the fish. If you want to add blackwater extract, just add enough to tinge the water a pale brown.
Cory_lover

Post by Cory_lover »

do they like a leaf litter?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

They may not enjoy leaf litter as much as other catfishes and will not burrow into it, but I think some leaf litter is good for your tank if you have many catfishes in there.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”