Talwar and Jhingran, <Inland fishes of India ...>

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Talwar and Jhingran, <Inland fishes of India ...>

Post by Dinyar »

Is this book worth $70?

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

No recent book of Indian fishes written by Indian ichthyologists is worth the inflated priced they usually sell for, IMO. In fact, I think they're hardly worth the paper they're printed on.
The only books on Indian freshwater fishes that are halfway decent are those written by Francis Day more than a hundred years ago. I am not belittling Indian ichthyologists here, but the last Indian ichthyologist of any worth was Sunder Lal Hora, and even then, he's had more than his fair share of boo-boos.
Most of the recent books on Indian fishes are nothing more than pastiches of previous works, which all trace their lineage back to Day's and Hora's work (most times the copying extended to the figures). Inaccuracies have crept in due to time, the lack of verification and the duplication process.
I might have a spare photocopy of the catfish section of Talwar & Jhingran. You can have it for free, if I can find it. The $70 you save can be put to better use elsewhere.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”