? about the pleco formerly known as Liposarcus pardalis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
biomechmonster
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Chicago, IL

? about the pleco formerly known as Liposarcus pardalis

Post by biomechmonster »

I was scanning the cat-e-log and noticed Liposarcus was gone and that the fish is now classified as Pterygoplichthys pardalis.

I have this fish and the 'albino' version of it as well...

The question is...

There used to be photographs under Liposarcus pardalis of the 'albino' version of this fish, commonly known as a chocolate or chocolate albino pleco.

But under P. pardalis, there are no photographs of chocolate albinos or any mention of them. Do they have their own name now or what? Any information is appreciated, thanks! :wink:
"Mr. Vaughan, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution."
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Is this what you were looking for?
Phathead6669
Location 1: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Interests: Cars, Sports, Fish(Obviously)

Post by Phathead6669 »

Is this what you were looking for?
Is that your average regular Albino Pl*co????? If it is I will send them a pic cause mine is 12" long.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The commonly available albino pleco is either an , which grows to about 5" SL, or . I should think yours is the latter.

Others do exist, but they are MUCH rarer.

You can tell that it's a Pterygoplichthys specie by the number of rays in the dorsal fin. There's 11-14 in a Pterygoplichthys , whilst all (or almost all?) other Loricariidae have 7-8 rays.

--
Mats
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 933
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Mats,

Actually, I find the species Silurus pointed out to be more common than the gibby. At least here in Scotland.

Phathead6669,

Certainly would like a decent picture of a larger one.

Jools
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 237
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I see them on lists here as 'Chocolate Albino Pleco'. I'll see if I can track down a large one for a pic.
biomechmonster

Post by biomechmonster »

MatsP wrote:The commonly available albino pl*co is either an , which grows to about 5" SL, or . I should think yours is the latter.

Others do exist, but they are MUCH rarer.

You can tell that it's a Pterygoplichthys specie by the number of rays in the dorsal fin. There's 11-14 in a Pterygoplichthys , whilst all (or almost all?) other Loricariidae have 7-8 rays.

--
Mats
Thanks, I do have an albino P. gibbiceps; it's a true beauty and one of my favorites :D

But the fish I'm talking about is not a true albino, hence my '' when referring to this fish ('albino'). It has the usual brown eyes but a pinkish albino-type body (although it's not the pure white/light yellow of my albino gibbiceps).

It is commonly sold as a chocolate or chocolate albino pleco; in fact Petsmart regularly sells them now. Their coloration ranges from almost true chocolate to 'albino', like mine.

But I'll count the dorsal rays on this fish then.

I'm just curious because this fish used to be listed under Liposarcus pardalis; (you could see pics of it in the cat-e-log under this name) but now there are no such pictures under P. pardalis.

If anyone knows what fish I'm talking about, could you tell me where I can find it in the cat-e-log?
"Mr. Vaughan, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution."
biomechmonster

Post by biomechmonster »

Silurus wrote:Is this what you were looking for?
No, but close!
catfish_cz
Location 1: Czech Republic

Post by catfish_cz »

biomechmonster

Post by biomechmonster »

catfish_cz: Yes, that's the one! I guess it's just Pterygoplichthys sp. then? Why the change from pardalis, anyone know? Thank you :wink:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There isn't any change as much as the fact that we don't really know which of the similarly-colored species of Pterygoplichthys is the albino form (the color pattern is useful in diagnosing some of the species, and when it disappears as in the albino form, you lose a key distinguishing character). We also do not know if there are albino forms of more than one species of Pterygoplichthys around, or if the albino is a hybrid if two species (although this seems unlikely).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”