I'm new

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
NickWalters
Location 1: Calgary
Interests: Computers, Aquariums, and so much more

I'm new

Post by NickWalters »

Thought it would be nice to talk to some other people about catfish. I don't think anyone at work shares my appreciation for the cats and loaches, and I work at one of the largest aquarium stores in our city as an assistant manager.

I currently own a just 2 cats: One dwraf Marble cat (most probably an Asian Bumblebee catfish, but still not sure), and an Albino Cory. I had to shut down a few tanks wen I moved out here, but I used to have a few species of Synodontis cats (which I love) and quite a few species of loaches. I'm currently looking for ideas for a catfish with the same body shape as a redtail cat, but without the size issue. anyone with an opinion is welcome to make a suggestion.
give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll never see his family again.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Calling an Asian bumblebee cat a dwarf marble cat is a new one for me. Anyways, you can check if it is indeed your fish by comapring to the pics in the Cat-eLog.
Welcome aboard.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Nice to meet a Cat and Loach keeper. I must admit i have more Loaches than Cat's. :lol:

Welcome.
NickWalters

Post by NickWalters »

Thanks all!
Yup, pretty sure thats the guy. Boy is mine ever fat though!!

Its hard, I keep trying to bring in the fancy plecos and synodontis and the supervisor keeps veto-ing my choices... oh well what can I do?
give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll never see his family again.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

NickWalters wrote:Thanks all!
Yup, pretty sure thats the guy. Boy is mine ever fat though!!

Its hard, I keep trying to bring in the fancy pl*cos and synodontis and the supervisor keeps veto-ing my choices... oh well what can I do?
Hi Nick !

I know how it feels, and I share the pain!!!!
Anyway! Welcome on board!
Enjoy!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
NickWalters

Post by NickWalters »

newbie question here, why does pleco show up like that? Just curious.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

It is a superstition saying that if you write down pl*co with the e a pl*co will die.
Some people says that it is valid only if you speak about a pl*co that you own and not when you talk about pl*co generally!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

Hi NickWalters,

Welcome to PC! Just a thought about your cat, it may be a South Amercan bumblebee. They tend to get fat easily, and they are smaller. http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/p ... /303_f.htm

I have some of the guys, and they tend to eat themselves silly if fiven the chance, and get some real pot-bellies.
NickWalters

Post by NickWalters »

ok, that is definitely him! Thanks for the help guys. I'll have o browse the cat eLog when I get home from work today, it looks impressive. I have a 33gal that is just dying to get set up. might give me some ideas as to what cats I want in there.
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

is that aslo why cichlid appears as such rather than c i c h l i d, or is cichlid just a dirty word here...cichlid

ben
NickWalters

Post by NickWalters »

Well the joys of working at a pet store paid off again. Someone brought in a fish that my supervisor has listed as a Bumble bee catfish, but for what I can tell, I have the Microglanis iheringi species at home right now (only gets 6cm) the one at my work was well over 10cm and the closest I could find o it was Microglanis parahybae, but even that seems a little small, but all the markings are there... so of course I brought him home (like there weren't enough fish disappearing in my tank as it is lol)

Return to “Speak Easy”