elegans+shy? why?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Travis
Location 1: Canada

elegans+shy? why?

Post by Travis »

Hi, i'm new to this forum, but I have 2 pigmy cories (1 female, 1 male), 3 corydorus elegans (2 males and 1 female) along with 2 female blue platies in my 10 gallon planted tank. It seems that my elegans have been extremeley shy ever since i bought them , which was about August last year (which makes it about 7 months since they've been in my care). I feed them sinking dried earthworm pellets along with scraps from nutrafin tropical fish food. They like to hide beside the driftwood in a little nook in the tank which i made for them, and they don't come out usually until night time (also, they are very frightened when i approach the tank). Could this be because they are nocturnal, or is there another reason for this behaviour. Also, is there anything i can do to entice them to be more active?

Thanks for your time,
Travis
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Travis

Firstly can you please add your location to your profile (Country will do) I like to know where the people are that I am talking to.

The elegans types are a group that are best kept in larger numbers, I would recomend at least 6 if not more, this will make them feel more secure and you will find that they will be far more active.

They are a group http://www.corydoras.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... _group.htm that tend to be more nervous than most of the othe Cory species.
Travis
Location 1: Canada

Post by Travis »

Would i be able to add some aeneus cories to my tank to keep the elegans and pigmies company, and if so, how many would be alright?

Thanks for your help,
Travis

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”