gold nugget or ???

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

gold nugget or ???

Post by catdoc »

I have a pic, but not too computer-literate at posting it. I can email it to someone if they can help me... This is of a fish that I bought at Christmas but I still don't know for sure what it is. It was called a "gold seamed pleco" by my lfs and I was told it would get to be 5-6" long. Just want to double check it's id so I know how much room he's going to need at full size. I've checked the picture catalog here but I still cannot tell the difference between the different gold nuggets.

Thanks!

Christy

LiSCN
Location 1: Buffalo Grove, IL

Post by LiSCN »

did you check to see if it is an orange seam pleco?
catdoc

Post by catdoc »

Mine has yellow spots as well as the yellow seam. Do they lose the spots as they get older? It looks like the orange seam lacks the spots that mine has.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Look at the size of the dots. In order of increasing size, it should be L81, L18/L85, and then L177.
catdoc

Post by catdoc »

Just a follow-up: I'm pretty sure that my fish is L177, which means he's going to be larger than I had been told. Not a problem as it gives me an excuse to get the larger tank I've been wanting! The lfs was calling him a "yellow seam" and I did finally find some references to L177 with that name. He does appear to have the larger spots as well. Still trying to get a pic online b/c I'm not confident on all of this. It's hard to decide how the size of his spots compare with the other spp since I don't have them side-by-side for the comparison.

Christy
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

Picture added.
catdoc

Post by catdoc »

Thanks, Tim!!! :D
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

hi that definitely is an L177 large spot nugget and the fins are also solid yellow :D
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Very Nice! How's it's eating habit's?

Graeme.
catdoc

Post by catdoc »

Thanks for the confirmation, I was guessing L177 but wasn't confident. He WAS the most gorgeous fish there (she had a small spot gold nugget too), now he's one of my favored fish. :D

He's given me a scare this week--I think he's doing better now. His color was a bit blanched and he wasn't feeding well. I have always provided him with bogwood (or driftwood, what's the difference??) and algae wafers. I added in some fresh spinach last week, he really seems to like that and I think that's what prompted his turnaround. He turned down the zucchini but I think I'll try that again. Offered some shrimp pellets this evening but he didn't seem too impressed. Anything else that I should be feeding him? I'm wanting to set him up in a biotope tank (is that the right word?) so right now I'm trying to find all the info I can about his species.

How long for him to reach adult size? He's 3 to 4" right now.

Thanks again!
L.Z
Location 1: Taiwan

Post by L.Z »

In the Japanese magazine mentions the related content.

This fish's environment has the environment which the pebble and the big stone piles up, also has the mobile current of water in the impulse.

Food aspect, sorry, I forgot the content.

Return to “What is my catfish?”