pangasius hypalthamus-will this work?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

Post by general-sherman »

my younger cousin purchased 3 pangasius hypalthamus blueline catfish the shops call them here) which have now outgrown his 48x18x14 tank. no shop will take them and the nearest public aquarium w/ a freshwater display is 2000km away. this is probabaly sounding like a familiar story,right?
well, despite their unsuitability for the home i have decieded to rescue these fish.
i have a 6ft diameter, plastic ex-aqauculture pond (30inch deep). the pond has a 200lt barrel trickle filter run by a 3000 L/H pump.
can the pond house these fish and just how big are they likely to get in captivity?
they are currently 6-8inch.
thanks
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

can the pond house these fish and just how big are they likely to get in captivity?
The answer is still no. I've seen captive specimens in excess of 2 feet. Besides, they are skittish fish that need a lot of swimming room, which means the chances for them leaping out of an uncovered enclosure like a pond is very likely.
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

Post by general-sherman »

the pond is covered w/a metal grating.
so what should i do w/these fish?
i can't kill them-its not the fishes fault they were sold by an irresponsible shop to uninformed people.
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...

Return to “Asian Catfishes”