Pictus Problems

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jlcmkibc
Location 1: Maryland

Pictus Problems

Post by jlcmkibc »

My hubby and I have a 55 gal tank that's been set up for two and a half months. One week ago, we went to PetSmart and purchased two pictus catfish. One of them had a large belly and the other did not, and as we are virgins to this particular freshwater fish, we assumed the one with the belly was a female and the other was a male. We have learned since that's not the case as sexing these fish is impossible. At any rate, the one with the belly has managed to survive so far and seems to be in good health. It has a tendancy to hide under our fake log unless it's feeding time, or the plecos start giving it a hard time. The first slender one we got died within 48 hours, and the second we got, managed to survive about four days. I've posted on other message boards and the general consensus is that it's a hit and miss sorta deal with this type of fish. That more than likely I'll go through a few until I can find one that will acclimated itself to our tank. We've been rather obsessive about testing for pH and ammonia levels as well as partial water changes two to three times a month. Our largest tank prior was only 30 gals, and we never had a problem with it, doing water changes once a month. Do you all agree that it just may take us a few fish to find one that will acclimate to our tank? Like I said, the one seems to be doing just fine. No signs of ich or problems breathing. It just seems to like to hide during the day. I appreciate any answers you can give me, even if it's something I may have already heard.

I'm starting to feel kinda like a dork for getting a little depressed each time our brand new pictus dies on us. And I wonder just how many 14 day guarantees we can cash in on this one type of fish before PetSmart doesn't start to wonder if our tank is the problem or we're killing them on purpose.

Have a wonderful day.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What other fish do you hve in the tank?
Pictus cats do best in small groups of at least 4. With some schooling fish, it is sometimes a problem getting only two individuals, as the stronger one is likely to pick on the weaker. This might be the case with your fish.
jlcmkibc
Location 1: Maryland

Post by jlcmkibc »

We have quite a population in the tank... 4 bala sharks, two gold gouramis, two pink gouramis and one blue gourami, 4 mollys, 4 khuli loaches, 2 plecos, 3 swordtails, 4 neons and then our two pictus. We are going to get another tank for the balas and the pictus when they get too big for this tank. As for the other cat picking on the ones that have died, it was not the case. The other one hides under the fake log in our tank and is only active during feeding time. We just went and got a new pictus today, and overall, seems to be doing much better from the start than the other two we had die. I think for now we're gonna limit ourselves to two pictus and see how they do. Thanks.

Have a wonderful day.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Make sure there is plenty of aeration. Pictus are the first fish to suffer if dissolved oxygen is to low.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

And pictus most definitely can't be trusted with your neons. You'll have to keep them elsewhere.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”