Asian RTC experiences?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Reality
Location 1: California
Interests: fish

Asian RTC experiences?

Post by Reality »

I saw some 3" juveniles at a lfs and wondered what's everyone's experiences with them? I heard they are very aggressive and should be kept alone. Do they have teeth and what's their growth rate?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Their reputation is well-earned. In fact all three species of <i>Hemibagrus</i> I have kept are about the most aggressive catfish I have evere seen. If you want to keep one, it must be kept alone.
They have teeth and are sometimes not afraid to use them.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

And not afraid to use them on you. Growth rate is quite rapid. Mine has grown from 4" to 10" in 18 months. I keep it with Megalodorus uranoscopus, Pseudodoras niger and a Sailfin pleco. When it saw the niger taking food from my fingers, it decided to become hand-tame itself.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

redtail

Post by oneoddfish »

I just got rid of 1 had it 240gal. and it totally terrorized my entire tank and at 10inch.was smallest fish in tank once they get 6inch. there the NASTIEST fish I've ever seen and I've kept some MEAN one's...unless you have a tank just for him LEAVE him at the store.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
Toirtis
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post by Toirtis »

I inherited a pair that were 3" long....within 6 months, they had grown to 9" and 7½" respectively, when the larger of the two decided to murder his sibling and a pair of 16"-18" tiger shovelnose cats in a single weekend. I gave him away, and understand that a year later, he is 24"+ and still a killer, occupying his own pond.
G. A. Christian Bilou
Polypterid and Doradid Fanatic
33 Doradids, 4 species; 58 Corydoras, 10 species; 12 Bunocephalus, 1 species

Return to “Asian Catfishes”