Corydoras araguaiaensis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ARCHANGEL
Location 1: Belvidere, IL

Corydoras araguaiaensis

Post by ARCHANGEL »

I am new to this forum and hope it becomes as valuable as the others I belong to

I recently aquired 4 of these corys, (Corydoras araguaiaensis).

I was told at the time they where a rarity and only cory conisures would even be able to identify them by sight or have them in their collection. I have since found some of this info true and because of the unpopularity info even less forth coming.
Does anyone have info or a hot link supporting info on this cory?
Any and all info including breeding would be appreciated.Thanks

Jeff

Last edited by ARCHANGEL on 18 Apr 2003, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Have you looked at Ian's site? Breeding info is given in his book.
ARCHANGEL

Post by ARCHANGEL »

Just did, I was looking for a little more info then was provided nd I dont have his book. Kind of new at corys.
I have posted a pic of 2 of the 4 for confirmation.
One that is not in the pic has a blackened leading edge on hid dorsal, I can post an additional pic if needed.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

C. araguaiaensis female.

Thia is a spcies that I first bred in 1986 and astil breeding (Not the same speciemens though). The water perameters were, Temp 72 - 76 deg F - pH 7.2 - dGh 8 - KH 6.
The tank size is 18" x 10" x 10" (approx 6.5 gal UK)

Weekly 30% water changes were made during the conditioning period, in fact this is a standard pratice with all my tanks (72). A variable diet which includes life foods if possible should be given. When the fish are in breeding condition it won't be to difficult to see, the female/s will be plump and the male/s will be more attentive towards them. This is the time to try and trigger them into spawning, I would make at least a 50% water change replacing the water removed with water that is 10 - 15 degrees cooler. the tank water is alowed to return to its original temperature naturaly. If all the conditions were favourable then there should be spawning activity within the next 48 hours.

These are breifly the details as laid out in my book along with 66 other species.
http://www.corydoras.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/book%20.htm

Best of luck

Ian
ARCHANGEL

Post by ARCHANGEL »

Thanks Ian,

All the pics that I have found so far depicting Corydoras araguaiaensis have appeared to be slightly lighter in color then the specimens I have. Is this normal or have I misidentified the corys I have? With so many diferant types and some being very similar in their markings IDing them properly could prove difficute.
Any thoughts on this matter? Jeff
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Ian,
Archangels specimens pictured appear not to have barbels. Will this be a problem in his attempt to spawn them?
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

There is another thread in this particular section of the forum Dealing with C. sterbai I think that the colour of your fish as well as mine will depend quite a lot on the colour and type of substrate that is under them.

We have a lfs that uses no substrate at all in any of their tank, but the base and backs are coloured black, the fish from there are all very dark, another lfs uses all sort of substrate even white. The fish over the white gravel are all washed out and very pale.

Dave,
It is possible that the barbels will grow back, nut it will take a long time. Breeding is still possible even with no barbels at all, a lot depends on the fish themselves and how practiced they are in the art of mating.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”