fat clown pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

fat clown pleco

Post by BK »

one of my clown plecos has been quite fat/chubby for quite a while (over three months). i am not sure if it is sick or not but would think that if it is it should have died a while ago. it fatness also seems to change over time( it gets fatter then a coulple weeks latter it will be less fat, then it gets fat again). besides being so fat it acts normal. I was wondering what could cause this?
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

I think its normal, both mine are very fat.They eat all the time too.I just wish my mango pl*co liked to eat as much as they do.

Oh and does anyone know if its normal for them to be spiky.One of mine seems to have what looks like fine spines round its head and fins.Would that be a male?
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

Yes, most lightly a male and quite normal.
I love L-numbers
Easy
Location 1: Philippines
Interests: Catching some Zzzzs while at work.

Post by Easy »

My 2 Tiger Peckoltias at times would also get really chubby...then after a day or two...it'll revert back to it's normal form.

I'm somwhat careful when this happens...I would tend to lessen the amount of food I give them...often I give them food with a lot of fiber. Protein foods might lead to intestinal disorders...

I also put them on a diet... :D
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 271
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well at home females are the one who are lightly coloured, my males are also rather fat but depend highly on the type of food I give them...

Still if the stomach get really huge, be careful as it is a sign of bacterial disease... still remember that Panaqolus spp rather eat vegetables matter and animal protein should be given not too often or in case of conditionning for spawning!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
T

Post by T »

Well mine mostly get veggies(algae wafers, peas, spinich, zuccini etc)but from time to time they will eat leftover shrimp/pellets.
BK

Post by BK »

an update:

he/she is still fat and iam not quite sure why. this summer i am going to pull it out of the 120 gallon if i can catch him/her and move it into a 10 gallom where i can watch and observe it better.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

I get the impressing it's pretty normal for clowns to get a "gut" Mine have had good bellies on the since I got them. 8 months of having a belly, and sill healthy and active suggests it not being a problem to me :)
BK

Post by BK »

the only thing that concerns me is that there isn't a llot of pictures of FAT clown plecos online.
Ben

Post by Ben »

BK wrote:the only thing that concerns me is that there isn't a llot of pictures of FAT clown pl*cos online.
I think it depends on how you define it as bein "fat" Below is about average for mine, nice rounded belly. Sometimes a little bigger than that, after eating.

BK

Post by BK »

thats almost exactly what my fish looks like.
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

hi i dont think that if ur plecs are just that fat, and that will be a problem.. I guess htat ur plec has just eaten... If ur worrying, just separate the fat plec and add heat to the tank maybe 32 deg. and use chloromycetin this helps digestion :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
T

Post by T »

Oh dear that one is positively skinny compared to mine.Also mine are much lighter looking than that, is that normal?
Ben

Post by Ben »

T wrote:Oh dear that one is positively skinny compared to mine.Also mine are much lighter looking than that, is that normal?
Hmmmm, if it's that much of a diff in the "chubbyness" you may have reason to be concerned, especially with that colouration. The ligher colour is thier stress colouration. Mine were like that for a couple days after comin home, and progressively darkened to how you see in the pic, and sometimes even darker. You may want to treat with antibiotics in an isolation tank, as they my have an infection in thier guts. Are you feeding anything other than pellets and veggies?
T

Post by T »

They mostly eat veggies but will steal bloodworms and pellets from the other fish.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”