panic ! clown plecos not eating =( 2 dead already.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

panic ! clown plecos not eating =( 2 dead already.

Post by Harley »

Hi,
I have hade som troubles with my clown plecos, i bought 3 of them, now a week later there is only 1 left.
I have him together with 30ancistrus juveniles in a 60liters tank. They are beeing fed alot of different food, peas, cucumber, zuccini, two types of algea waffers.
They also have alot of vegitation and a mopani root. A member of this forum told med to try softer wood, so i have put in a mangroove root from another tank.
I took a close look att the only surviver today. He is verry easy to catch with my hands, doesnt struggle much =/
His stommach looks almost empty, what should/can i do !!

please ! help me !

(sorry for starting a new thread, i already have one about this in the speak easy part, but im starting to panic now ! I need som seriusly good advice of what to do.)
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

Hi. I think that ur tank is too small or too overcrowded. I think that if u could separate him to another tank will be better. Add heater to the tank. Add medicine that condition the water and some antibiotics will do. I think that the fish is stressed too much that it doesnt want to eat at all! So separating it will be the best way of removing its stress.. Be sure to use cycled water with good bacteria...

Hope this helps..
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Harley

Post by Harley »

Hey Plecomaniac,
The tank has a heater and the water that i used to start up the tank with came from a tank with good balance.

Removing some of the other fishes might be a good ide though.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Remove all the other fishes from the tank and let him be alone, feed him heavily with frozen artemia or bloodworms for some days and after that some vegetibles you can also increase the temp to 29-30 C and dont forget the airstone for better oxygene level.
If the stomach still looks empty, keepon feeding heavily for a while.

Janne
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Usually these are not much of problem eaters.
The only possible thing I would see would be their guts flora having being destroyed by some medication. But these would have empeach them to digest wood correctly.
I don't know the influence on other type of food.
If it is this case with the gut flora destroyed the only possible way to restore it is by adding a healthy Panaque/Panaqolus in the tank as far as I know.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Harley

Post by Harley »

Janne: i will try that tomorrow !
The aquarium store was closed today =/

Yannfulliquet: that doesnt sound too good =/
But i havent given it any medication at all.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”