L199- share experiences about this peculiar cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

L199- share experiences about this peculiar cat

Post by apistomaster »

Hello L-fans,
We don't have much information on this L199 species yet but I have a group and have noticed some things of interest.
They are attractive, apparently uncommon, stay fairly small and are outgoing even in the light.
I have been maintaining a group of 5 and they do a lot of chasing each other around but cause no harm. They are much more carnivorous than hebivorous. My collection feed avidly on blackworms,live,frozen bloodworms, my discus beefheart blend and what I want to bring some attention to is that they eat common pond snails. They appear to have a somewhat specialized lip perhaps with dentition I haven't been able to examine closely as I have to few to risk an injurious microscopic examination that helps them extract pond snails from the shell. The implications for aquarists are obivious. Here-to-fore we are given puffers and loaches as our options for snail control. My experience with them means we may have a viable third option, especially if L199 imports increase or we learn to breed them in captivity. Breeding them is one of my priority pleco projects.
Much information about L199 is needed and further accounts of the snail eating behavior would be valuable. I believe that breeding will be standard cave spawning, good riverine flow and that based on their size a 20L will do.
I hope I have generated some interest among the forum pleco fans and that we will learn more about them, hopefully enough to flush out what we have in the cat-te-log.
Larry Waybright, apistomaster@clearwire.net or pm me by planetcatfish but mostly share with us all whatever you can.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”