albino ancistrus ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

albino ancistrus ?

Post by Harley »

Hi

Im thinking about buying a few albino ancistrus and im thinking about breeding them when they get big enough. But... i read i Ingo Seidel´s article that if you have the wrong kind then their offspring will be like the common ancistrus !

Can anyone tell me what the albino should look like if i want albino offspring ?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well it should look like any other albinos ancistrus which parents were albinos ....
Most of the albinos Ancistrus that you find in shop are long time albinos bred and there is few risk of getting any brown offspring.

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Currently I have 1 juvinile albino. I was going to wait until it matures, find out if its male or female, then get the opposite sex in an attempt to breed. My question is, are all of these alnino ancistrus that you see for sale (on aquabid for example) the same species?
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

It is not really clear but it is suppose to be the same species!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

I wonder how any 1/1 albinos can produce brown offspring?

Isnt it that an animal has to carry 100% albino genes to be an albino? Meaning if one half is brown all offspring will be brown, but their f2 would be half brown/half albino (theoretically)? And these albinos would have 100% albino genes with no brown geno.
This is why i thought the piebald couldnt be a albino/normal creation as it just isnt possible to "mix" colors in one fish.
Also it wouldnt be clever for a breeder to produce these fish...if you want to run a constant production...
Its been some time since i took genetics in school...
cheers
Christian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”