Loricaria high dorsal fin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Refael Hdr.
Location 1: Earth

Loricaria high dorsal fin

Post by Refael Hdr. »

Hi,
Can anyone give me some details about this wonderful fish (Lamontichthys filamentosa).
How long does it get? What does it feed on? What kind of substrate does it prefer?

Thanks,
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Refael Hdr.
Location 1: Earth

Post by Refael Hdr. »

Thank you Silurus,

BTW what is the correct scientific name - filamentosa or filamentosus? (that's the reason i didn't find some information earlier, i searched for filamentosa...).

Does anybody have some experience with that fish?
Does it prefer a sandy substrate?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

According to fishbase, L. filamentosus is the valid name, but it used to be Harttia filamentosa.

Whether a name ends with -sa or -sus depends on the gender of the genus name - don't ask me which is male or female tho'.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

high dorsal Loricaria

Post by apistomaster »

If I recall my high school Latin sa is feminine and us is masculine and taxonomically the gender of the genus must be followed by the same gender for species name per matp.
I recently bought 10 High Dorsal Loricaria and I am glad that I received Sturisoma instead of Loricaria
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

I have had these imported twice for me. Both times the fish have come in in pretty bad shape with about half of the fish doa. The ones that survived shipping didn't take to feeding anything I tried. I too noticed that they seemed to feed on diatoms. Good luck.
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Loricaria high dorsal

Post by apistomaster »

Hi whitepine,
Sorry about your Sturisomas not doing well in the past. My guess is that they were not too strong when you received them. Of course there are also many different Sturisoma sp.
I'm too lazy at the ment to double check my spelling but mine are Sturisoma nigrirostrum from Peru.
The little ones are more delicate than the adults. Mine devour algae wafers at 1 wafer/fish plus they are right in there scraping with 8 L066, 7 P. maccus(which wouldn't be in there if I could catch them), the rest of the fish are 6 wild Peruvian angels and 10 Heckel discus. The Heckels are good for about 1/2 an algae wafer and so are the L066. They all eat earthworm flakes, f.d. , frzn bloodworms.
Several Sturisoma have selected choice locations to hang out as couples and do a lot of tender tail filament touching and general pre-nuptial behavior. Mine range from 4-1/2 to 7 inches. I keep them all in Eastern Washington well water, dechlorinated. The whole system is a 75g,DIY wet/dry, another extra 25-30gal in circulation at a rate of 850gph flow through the tank plus a large sponge filter driven by a 200gph powerhead. I use a commericial chemical media reactor loaded with a rechargeable expensive resin connected by about 100gph diverted from the main pump inside the sump. Glad to trade info 'seeing hows we's both from the same state. Fish and fly fishing bum extraordinaire,
Larry
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”