Can you ID my new Pleco?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
adela
Location 1: Montreal
Interests: Cats (the mammalian kind), tropical fish, rugby, molecular oncology

Can you ID my new Pleco?

Post by adela »

Hey - inherited these two in a 70 gallon tank I was purchasing from a classified add. They had been pretty neglected (the guy said he hadn't added food to the tank in 6 months, no filter, no heater, etc etc etc) but at least the tank was planted so I guess that's what they survived on ... They are on quarantine now but I guess they must be healthy as they survived in that environment for a long time.

Anyway before I set up the new tank I just want to make sure I know who these guys are ... I want to add into the tank with them some of my community fish and I want everyone to be happy ...

Looked maybe like Loricariidae Ancistomus to me but the stripes are not quite right.

Thanks for your help! Here are some images:

Thanks! Adela
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

You have a Liposarcus species, probably Liposarcus paradils.
These are rather pretty common pl*co that you can buy almost everywhere...
They grow rather large at around 30cm/12inches!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “What is my catfish?”