North American Catfish/Best Baits to use for the big ones

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
grunt11b
Location 1: Scott Depot West Virginia
Interests: Catfish/Steelers/Deerhunting

North American Catfish/Best Baits to use for the big ones

Post by grunt11b »

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone here fishes for cats in North America. and im not talking about the small ones either. im talking about the 20 pounders to 80 pound flat heads. what types of bait do you use "size and type please" and how do you fish the bait "rivers,lakes,backwaters,dams" etc. im just now getting into fishing for the big boys, bought me some new tackle and am ready to roll, any help ya'll can give me i appreciated. thanks in advance!!! happy catfishing ya'll!!!!!![/b]
Lets Go Catfishing!!
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

I have to say, i think you came to the wrong place to ask about catFISHING.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

A mature flathead will not (or very very rarely) take anything thats not living bait. Alot of people use large goldfish but something more natural will bring you better luck such as bluegill or some species of sunfish would probibally be at the top of the list of the flathead diet along with small children :lol: I would try fishing around thos wingdams that they build on the river or any large twisted mass of tree tangle.they will be sitting directly under or around structure like that. what river are you fishing?
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

you might find some of the information in the cat elog interesting and helpfull. for info on the flathead click on scientific names and look at Pylodictus Olivarus. Thats him :D
grunt11b
Location 1: Scott Depot West Virginia
Interests: Catfish/Steelers/Deerhunting

Post by grunt11b »

thanks fatcat, im fishing the kanawha river in west virginia, we have a beautiful backwater down here in winfield as well as the winfield lock and dam. im assuming the big cats moved up river towards the dam during the spring so i think i may try my luck there today. thaks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Lets Go Catfishing!!

Return to “Speak Easy”