Poll: On Substrate!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.

What substrate you have in your pleco tank?

Small gravel (around 5 mm)
46%
River Sand
39%
Big Gravel (> 10 mm)
7%
Bare Bottom
9%

Total votes: 46

polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Poll: On Substrate!

Post by polkadot »

Just a survey to see how many you guys are having bare-bottoms or having substrate?
caril
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Soccer and Fish Keeping

Post by caril »

mine has a small layer of substrate.
more difficulties during cleaning.
coryfav
Location 1: Singapore (West)
Interests: Fishkeeping, Travelling, Reading, Correspondence

Post by coryfav »

My pleco tank's with 2mm gravel before I took them out cos I found difficulties in clearing the poop.

Now it's bare bottom, but I'm looking into the fesibility of having river sand.

Cheers!
To go to heaven: Turn right, and keep straight. - unknown

My gallery in PlanetCatfish: http://www.corydorasworld.com/planetcat ... ry/coryfav
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Sorry forgot to say something about my setup. Mine has around 1-2cm of small gravel (lonestar gravel). The poo poo only get struck near the rocks and woods, other than that it's quite clean on the open surface, so didnt siphon it at all. Maybe the cories did a good job in digging here and there thus shifting the poo to the filter.
gibbo
Location 1: Derbyshire, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping, Photography, Cinema, Crime Literature

Post by gibbo »

I use river sand for my L134's because they love to dig under the wood and stones and it makes life a little easier for them. They're constantly churning it up so it dosn't compact at all...
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I use all of the above except large gravel. It depends on the fish and where they come from. There is no "one" proper substrate. I mostly use bare bottom tanks for breeding Ancistrus and fry raising as they are easiest to keep clean.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I use only very small gravel 1-2mm, it works fine, nothing get trap in, fish poop stay at bottom surface and as I have a very strong flow in them , it is not easily carried away by the flow... still does a little bit!!!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Post by Mika »

Hi!

I use only very small gravel 1-2mm, it works fine, nothing get trap in, fish poop stay at bottom surface and as I have a very strong flow in them , it is not easily carried away by the flow... still does a little bit!!!!
Same substrate here.Catfishes enjoy digging their noses deep in this fine sand searching for food.It is a must for corydoras.More and more hobbyists in Finlad are using fine sand around 1mm in their tanks.Tank bottom is easier to keep clean and it is more pleasant to watch.Try-you`ll never change back to old gravel.
Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

Post by Saara »

I use 0,0 - 0,6 mm and 0,6 - 1,5 mm gravel.
Ora et labora.
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Seems like its a draw till now between very small gravel and sand!

I was advised against river sand if I were to have strong powerhead (which I had now) or big plecos (when my plecos grow up!). Reason is that the strong powerhead (which I placed in the middle of the tank) will blow up the sand easily and that big plecos have enough strength to stir up big amount of sand to fly around the water? :idea:
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

I'm not sure how bigger Plecos would stir up the sand, but I know I had some experience with Cichlids and sand. They really stired it up, and would dig in it etc. I had an Aquaclear 500 on the tank that got ruined very quickly as a result of sand getting inside it. It was enough to put me off sand for good.

polkadot wrote:Seems like its a draw till now between very small gravel and sand!

I was advised against river sand if I were to have strong powerhead (which I had now) or big pl*cos (when my pl*cos grow up!). Reason is that the strong powerhead (which I placed in the middle of the tank) will blow up the sand easily and that big pl*cos have enough strength to stir up big amount of sand to fly around the water? :idea:
Last edited by Ben on 13 Jan 2003, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Afaik most Cichlids and catfish clean their gills with sand (at least the ones that live on it) if you check your corys you can actually see the sand rinsing through the gills.
Both my L15 and the L77/137/138 love to dig so anything else than sand wouldnt do the job...as i have no plants in the cochliodon tank nor the xingu tank it really doesnt matter. Although the valisneria gigantea grows great on sand.
cheers
Christian
caril

Post by caril »

just changed from small gravel to fine sand.
looks brighter now. their poop are more visible thus easier to clean.
they seem to like digging the sand though.
Yew Wee
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

Ben, I've got a 9 inch scarlet that doesn't really move sand around too much in the daytime, I don't know about night though. For problems with sand ruining filters, us a filtermax prefilter, works great
batho
Location 1: Stoke-on-Trent, England
Interests: Catfish

Post by batho »

How do you clean the tank of poop etc when using fine sand. I use a normal syphon for small pebbles and these sometimes gets sucked into the dirty water bucket?

Do you just keep replacing the lost sand?

Steve
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I tend to siphon quite a lot of the sand out, rinse it and then siphon it back in again with the new water. If I do not have digging catfish in the tank this really helps in avoiding areas of deeper sand building up undesirable gas pockets.

Jools
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

Post by Saara »

batho wrote:How do you clean the tank of poop etc when using fine sand. I use a normal syphon for small pebbles and these sometimes gets sucked into the dirty water bucket? Do you just keep replacing the lost sand?
It seems to me that waiste just does not really get inside sand but rather keeps accumulating on it. So you do not really have to suck the sand off and clean it, because it suffices to suck off the waiste on the sand. I am backed about this by other aquarists at my local aquarists' web forum some of which haven't really cleaned the sand in years... Make your own judgements... :wink:
Ora et labora.
caril

Post by caril »

use a tank vacuum cleaner which runs on batteries...
very effective in clearing the poop on the surface of the sand.
Yew Wee
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

caril wrote:just changed from small gravel to fine sand.
looks brighter now. their poop are more visible thus easier to clean.
they seem to like digging the sand though.
caril ... heheheh ... doing the change over the hols?

btw, keep us updated on the review of the change in substrate yeah?

cheeers!
philtre
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I've got riversand in all the tanks except two, wich are without substrate:
-fry tank (because I feed the tiny fry with babybrine and need to see them)
-syno breeding tank, because I need to syphon the eggs out without those getting scratched.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
caril

Post by caril »

hi guys,
the layer of fine sand i'm using is only 1.5 - 2 inches thick.
any suggestions on whether how thick it should be???

philtre,
making full use of the holiday season. hehe...
Yew Wee
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Kind surprise that few actually go with bare tank. Seen lots of jap plecos sites and couple of them are in bare bottom tanks. Maybe just for photography purposes!
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

Saara, Jools
nice info about sand/ cleaning. personally I found them really useful. thanks!

polkadot
actually, I love bare tanks! but ... sighhh ... it's more interesting to have sand/ gravel (in my opinion) as they tend to root around more

caril
mr cleaner? :mrgreen:

btw ... I remember seeing coryman/ ian posting in one thread to mention that it shouldn't be more than 15mm ... that' = <1.5cm. Pretty thin I would say :wink: err ... maybe Ian's got more to share on the recommended depth?

Return to “Tank Talk”