Synodontis Omias?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Synodontis Omias?

Post by polkadot »

Are these Synodontis Omias? They're around 8" and quite aggressive towards one another. How do I sex them? The previous owner claim that he kept them for 5 years to reach this size! Do they grow that slow? :shock:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Do you have a close-up photo of the humeral process (the bone on the side of the body just behind the head)? From what I can see, it doesn't look like <i>S. omias</i>.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Actually, you can see the humeral of the front-most fish quite clearly. However, I have no knowledge of Synodontis omias, so cannot comment beyond saying that experience suggests that many of these claims of exotic species IDs turn out to be unfounded.

Dinyar
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

I agree with Dinyar, but in this case I would say the fish look a bit like S. macrops.
Georg
Dinyar
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Silurus claims that our pix of S. macrops in the Catalog are really S. frontosus, which is highly plausible, but as I have never seen a picture of frontosus, I haven't been able to convince myself 100%. We've had our "frontosus" for four years, and it does not seem to have grown beyond 11 cm, which is much smaller than the 30+ cm length Fishbase reports.

Anyway, I doubt the pictured fish is S. macrops/frontosus, as the humeral process looks different. Here is a photo of the humeral on our fish...

Dinyar

Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I am almost certain that is not <i>S. omias</i>, since <i>S. omias</i> is one of those species with an ornamented humeral process.
I will consult my syno bible (Poll) when I return to the US and see...
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Will try to take another closeup shot...Thanks
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

Here's a closeup shot.

Silurus

Post by Silurus »

That's definitely not <i>S. omias</i>. I'll have an answer to its exact identity in 72 hours..
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

The closest I can get to is <i>S. obesus</i>, but I cannot rule out the possibility that these are very large <i>S. nigrita</i>. Has anyone seen full-grown <i>S. nigrita</i> (at or near maximum size) to disprove me?
Last edited by Silurus on 05 Jul 2003, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Dinyar

Post by Dinyar »

S. nigrita was also my first thought. I've seen some pretty large ones. But then there are lots of non-descript Syno species that look vaguely similar, so I hesitate to proclaim "S. nigrita" with conviction.

Dinyar

Return to “What is my catfish?”