Otocinclus

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
hotsauce48
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: by the computer
Location 2: B-More
Interests: Fish,guitar,sports

Otocinclus

Post by hotsauce48 »

I was thinking about geting otocinclus in my tank,and I don't want to order online. I go to my local petco every two monthsand they always have about 23,they are active,the water is clear,stomachs are a little big and they are the regular species and the cauldal fin is forked right. Should i consider getting some?
Don't let karma get you, post replies, and replies to your questions you will recieve.
bslindgren
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Prince George, BC, Canada

Re: Otocinclus

Post by bslindgren »

What else do you have in the tank and what consitions? Check them out in the Cat-eLog to see what the requirements are. I expect that one or more species have been covered in the CotM as well.
I love the ones I have. I have a planted tank (Cryptocoryne spp.), and they are busy feeding on algae on the plants most of the time. I know of some people that have had trouble with them, but I think it's mainly because the fish are in poor condition after shipping. If they have them and they look healthy, I don't see why not. Make sure you quarantine them, though.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Re: Otocinclus

Post by andywoolloo »

I have gotten all my otos from petsmart. Only put them in a well established tank for best survival rate. Well established to me is 4-6 months past end of cycle, or longer is for sure better, lots of live plants, some moss growing on driftwood or rocks. Supplement their feeding. I feed mine veg every day, (slice of zuchinni, slice of cucumber, slice of sweet bell pepper, they also like mango. They like sinking algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellets, sinking veggie rounds also. They like to be in shoals. I have even seen mine munching on just about anything that hits the bottom. And def like above poster stated, what else will be in your tank with them? What temp is your tank.

Return to “Tank Talk”