Banjo catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Brengun
My images: 8
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Queensland, Australia

Banjo catfish

Post by Brengun »

I bought 5 banjo catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus) a few weeks ago and I lost one a few days later. I figured it was just unable to cope with the freight and new tank adjustment as I tested the water in the 124 ltr (actual water amount) tank and it was ammo 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5. There are about 8 juvenile bristlenoses in the tank with sand substrate, large internal filter and canister filter. This is an established tank so I didn't think anything of the one banjo death as these things sometimes happen, especially after the stress of air freighting.

Now another banjo is looking ill. It is not flattish like the other 3 banjos and yesterday looked like it was swollen and about to blow up. Its breathing was also laboured but other tank mates were fine.

I took him out, along with a large 20 ltr bucket of the existing aquarium water and placed him in a hospital quaranteen tank, which I had not long taken a pakistani loach from. The loach was a new one and had been in quaranteen for a few weeks. I took out a large bucket worth of water from the quaranteen tank, and added the banjo and the water from the banjos tank to the tank.

I dosed the tank with a full dose of Clout medication as I heard it was good to treat flukes which I suspected might have been 1/2 this banjos trouble.

Today the banjo is just as lethargic but around its head, the normal dimples are showing up instead of full on bloat. By the way, this 33ltrs (actual water) tank has an undergravel filter, a sponge filters and a tiny internal filter with a spraybar so it has very ample oxygen and filtration.

I have done a very small 8 ltr water change today mainly to syphon out the rest of its uneaten sinking pellet I fed it yesterday.

I got a couple of pretty good photos of the banjo and the thing which is disturbing me. On the enlarged photo, on the black gravel, does it look like parasitic worms?

I have never had to deal with worms before and I am not sure what I should do. Do I move the banjo and try to siphon around where its sitting to take out the worms?

Do I re-dose with Clout meds today, or leave it a couple of days and do it again?
I do have a small 9 watt internal uv filter I could add if you think it may have any benefit.

Brengun
My images: 8
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Queensland, Australia

Re: Banjo catfish

Post by Brengun »

I found the Clout is a daily dose for 3 or 4 days so I have treated day 2 and held off the uv in case it negates any of the medication effects.

I have kept the lights off the banjo and only peeked in occasionally and he seems to have bucked up a bit and is getting around the tank although I don't think he's up to eating much yet. His color is improving so fingers crossed.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

in the future, think about getting a different substrate

this is not good for Banjo's. they prefer sand, with perhaps a few leaves mixed in and some plant cover or bogwood.
Valar Morghulis
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hello,
I've been never good at curing fish from nematodes and I'm pretty sure that your fish is suffering because of them.
The problem is there are two kinds of pretty popular nematodes and two needs totally different medicines.
The best way is to ask someone who is keeping discus cichlids in your area (they usually know unexpectedly a lot about nematodes and different curing methods and there is high possibility that you will choose correct treatment since it is your area).

Eventually you may wait for answer (or try private message) from forum members like for example Apistomaster - he keeps discus and I'm more than sure he knows how to deal with nematodes.

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
ahodge84
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Ohio

Post by ahodge84 »

sidguppy wrote:in the future, think about getting a different substrate

this is not good for Banjo's. they prefer sand, with perhaps a few leaves mixed in and some plant cover or bogwood.

The banjos' tank has a sand substrate. The sick fish is currently in a hospital tank. I have personally kept banjos in sand and stone tanks- they have thrived in both, although they do enjoy the sand. However, the substrate is not the problem here- sorry I cannot help with the sickness.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”