Habitat shots: Jinja, Victorian Nile

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Habitat shots: Jinja, Victorian Nile

Post by Shane »

Just a couple of habitat shots from the Nile's source at Jinja. This is the very beginning of the Nile at Lake Victoria.

Sadly I had no collecting gear with me. Maybe that was a good thing. Just a week after taking these pics I spoke with an AID worker that had contracted bilharzia at this very spot.

He told me that getting bilharzia in Uganda, "is just a fluke."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis

-Shane
Attachments
NabugaboSept09 051.JPG
Nile a Jinja
Nile a Jinja
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Habitat shots: Jinja, Victorian Nile

Post by MatsP »

At least you should be familiar with the treatment - Praziquantel is mentioned quite often here ;)

--
Mats
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

beautiful pictures! :D
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

One thing that really sunk in speaking with Anton Lamboj and all through his talks he mentions he will not go in the water unless he is wearing protective gear just for this reason of the bilharzia.

He does collect mostly in the West African regions which is mainly stream and river collecting. As far as I know there is less of a risk(maybe seasonal) in the bigger lakes.

Birger
Birger
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Birger,
The protective gear may make Anton feel better (as it would me) but the truth is that any contact with water is a potential exposure. Waders, rubber gloves, etc may provide some protection (I say "May" as bilharzia can actually enter the body through even unbroken skin) but you eventually have to haul a wet net, touch a fish, reach in to a bucket, or even get splashed. Any contact with any amount of water counteracts all the protections.

The biggest problem is that answers with regard to bilharzia are all over the place. The AID worker above touched the Nile once and contracted bilharzia. An Italian boat mechanic in Entebbe I spoke with has been in and around the waters of Lake Victora everyday of his life and said the last time he got it was over 4 years ago, despite daily exposure to the water.

One Doctor told me all kinds of horror stories and claimed that bilharzia can not always be cured. Another told me to get in the water and enjoy myself as bilharzia is rather rare to contract and is easily treatable even if I do get it.

My plan is to be careful but I am still going to collect fishes. Uganda's territory is over 20% freshwater and includes the largest tropical lake in the world. I probably will get bilharzia and have to be treated, but to me that risk is worth it.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
mampam
Location 1: UK

Post by mampam »

Shane wrote:J
He told me that getting bilharzia in Uganda, "is just a fluke."
-Shane
That was a joke wasn't it, I didn't imagine it??
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Shane wrote: My plan is to be careful but I am still going to collect fishes. Uganda's territory is over 20% freshwater and includes the largest tropical lake in the world. I probably will get bilharzia and have to be treated, but to me that risk is worth it.

-Shane
Well take a lucky rabbit's foot or 4-leaf clover with you anyway, fingers crossed at the very least - we can't do without you buddy!
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

And, before you ask, no, you can't have a sub forum for the tropical maladies you've collected.

That would just be showing off.

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

That was a joke wasn't it, I didn't imagine it??
Yes, a bit of dark humor from the dark continent.
And, before you ask, no, you can't have a sub forum for the tropical maladies you've collected.
Fair enough, but thank for setting this one up bro!

-Shane
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Sounds like a nasty fluke at that! Such pretty and alluring waters..... :beardy: How does the health of Lake Victoria seem near Uganda?
Amanda
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

How does the health of Lake Victoria seem near Uganda?
Funny you should ask as I just got down to Murchison Bay for the first time yesterday. I can see it from my bedroom, but had not driven down there yet.
I visited a boat club harbor that consisted of several jetties constructed by pushing rocks into the lake.
The water did not look clean at this spot. It was very green with lots of suspended floating algae. I did see several pairs of cichlids guarding fry among the rocks that made up the jetty. I could not identify the spp. I also saw fry of various sizes. That said, I also noticed several dead fishes floating about. Among these was a syno corpse, but I could not make out the species.
In all fairness, I have seen the areas around harbors in the States look just as bad/dirty.
-Shane

Return to “Travellers note book”