poorly clarius

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

poorly clarius

Post by jscoggs27 »

hello everyone.
My clarius as I said a while ago has started scatching itself occasionally. At first I wasn't too worried but now things have changed. There seems to be some redening around the base of one of the pectoral(?) fins. Also there is a small raised red spot on the fin. The area around the fin appears a bit bloodshot and slightly swollen possibly. These are early signs of something (or nothing?). Apart from this there appears to be no other signs of illness he appears healthy in every way. The fins apart from the small lump seem to be intact and I can see no white spots.
Any Ideas? Should I be worried?

thanks
jason
gibbo
Location 1: Derbyshire, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping, Photography, Cinema, Crime Literature

Post by gibbo »

May be bacterial infection/fin rot? Do a 40% water change and then treat with myxazin by Waterlife. Cut down feeding for a week or so. Any medication (even if it says differently on the bottle) will hammer the filter bacteria so feed a little only.
It may have arisen from damage (a cut etc) but like us, keep his surroundings and water quality tip top and he should heal OK. (fingers crossed for you m8).
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Hi, A dilema indeed, I lost a red tail in same circumstances 12 mths ago. Myxazin is unfortunately not strong enough to use in most cases, of any infection that appears to break out like this. Firstly check water quality before using any medication. Prevention is better than cure. Check gravel for dead spots, you may be exposing your clarius to toxins. Following this see if you can get your local fs to do a scrape on fish to check for parasites. This service may cost £5 or so, but at least you will know what is wrong. If no paras are present, I would then treat for infection. Melafix seems to work on most cats we have tested, and if you can get an ointment to apply to fish its chances of survival will be very good. If fish looks really bad I would seek vetinary advice, as at least they can provide antibiotics to administer on fish. Costly I know but not for a pet. Good luck.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

hi again

Post by jscoggs27 »

Well thanks for your advise everyone. Still I would have preferred it if you had all said "dont worry its nothing"!!
Today there has been some improvement, the appearence of bruising has been reduced and the spot on the fin seems to have diminished. I feel a bit better. He however appears not too have noticed and continues to beg for food and pester me ( nibbling my fingers) when Im sevicing the tank! I hope he will recover.
I have taken some action, namely:
14/01/03 40% water change. Remove all gravel and replace with clean sand. Replace filter cartridge.
15/01/03 Added new 20 lire external filter, 20 lires of extra water, and added myxazin(or whatever its called).

Im hopping with strict monitoring of the water quality and removal of debris from the sand as early as possible I can help him to heal himself.

Thanks for all your help. I shall let you know how it goes.

jason
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

They aren't known for being a delicate fish. I expect he will recover. I would do regular
generous water changes with such a heavy feeder to keep the nitrate level low. At high levels it irritates the skin of fish and could be the reason for him scratching.
Where did you get him? I recall from the old forum that you were looking for one. I am still thinking about it myself.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
jazz
Location 1: chelt

this post

Post by jazz »

I got mine from a place in churchdown - this bloke was selling all sorts of quite large exotic fish like pacu's etc etc and in the corner was this tank full of wee catty's of I trundled 'n purchased 2 of em ...... oh my didnt stay wee for long do they. R.I.P 2 red tail sharks, 1 plecy, 3 tiger babrs, 10 black widow tetras, 2 khula loaches.
My oh my I think it's gonna eat me.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”