What to feed my Arius Graeffei

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
dasquee
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia

What to feed my Arius Graeffei

Post by dasquee »

Hello everyone.

I've been visiting PCF for a while but never posted, although this particular question has been floating around in my head for a while now.

Basically, I'm wondering what I should feed my catfish. I believe he's an Arius Graeffei as the Arius Berneyi isn't the same colour as mine.

I currently feed him a variety of what I feed my loaches and other fish but most things he won't really eat. The exception is frozen blood worms, ONE type of sinking pellet (won't touch wafers or any other type of pellet, not even bigger ones of the same type), and recently shrimp pellets.
I've read online that they eat a variety of foods, but I don't know what else to try. He doesn't touch vegetables or anything that floats, but will happily eat any fish small enough to fit in his huge gob, although about 50 feeder fish only lasted one night (that was before I knew they were a bad idea).

I was wondering, should I try shrimp? (Frozen Brine or even live shrimp) Or perhaps small crayfish?

He's been happy to eat what I have, and has quadrupled in length in the 9 months I've had him, but I thought maybe it's about time I gave him more of a choice ;)

Attached a photo of him in case I've got the wrong type.

~Das

Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: What to feed my Arius Graeffei

Post by Richard B »

The Ariids that i've encountered really preferred meaty type foods so i'd suggest mussels, cockles, shrimp, prawn, krill, lancefish etc (or the australian equivalents). You might also want to try Hikari massivore pellets if not tried already. The shellfish can be chopped (if required)depending on the size of the fish.

Oyster, lobster, crayfish etc would also all be good :P
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

Return to “Other Catfishes”