question about travelling to Xingu

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
L-14
Location 1: Thailand

question about travelling to Xingu

Post by L-14 »

Any suggestion for snorkeling trip for plecos and other fishes at Rio Xingu or nearby areas? Is September ok time to go there? Is the area easy to travel to? Any contact?
Scobinancistrus auratus is my favorite pleco ^_^
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: question about travelling to Xingu

Post by MatsP »

September is the middle of the rainy season, so from that perspective it's good (Source).

Not sure how easy it is to get export license or finding someone who has one - or if you need permission to dive/catch fish in the river itself. You may want to check with Janne (Ekström) who lives in Belem.

--
Mats
L-14
Location 1: Thailand

Post by L-14 »

Thanks. I'm not planning to bring any fish back, just want to see live fishes. More info is welcome :d
Scobinancistrus auratus is my favorite pleco ^_^
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Mats meant in the middle of the dry season, September to beginning of December is the best time for diving and catch fish in Rio Xingu. You do need a license to catch fish even if you put it back direct after catching, there are always fishermen in the area that can work as a guide and that have a license so that should not be a problem. If you not are an used traveller you need someone that help you or you book a week at one of the fishing lodges where they have people taken care of you. The only place that are easy to travel to as tourist is to Altamira, if you arrrive Sao Paulo you fly to Belem and from Belem to Altamira. The criminality is high in Altamira and special now when they have started the work with the Belo Monte dam, if you are used to travell by your own to places like this it will not be any problem, if not used better to book a week at a lodge or arrange something with a travel agency.

Janne

Return to “Travellers note book”