Tranquebar

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Tranquebar

Post by Shovelnose »

Tranquebar lies in the southern part of Tamil Nadu and is a former Danish settlement. I have been wanting collect here since 2008 but the trips getting postponed. Finally managed to put a plan in place. More on Tranquebar here : http://tranquebar.in/

From a hobbyist point of view, Tranquebar is a really awesome place to collect in. It happens to be the type locality of Ompok bimaculatus, Neotropius athernoides,Mystus vittatus and a few Gobies too.

The rest of the team left on Friday (29th July '11) evening and reached Karaikal, a small town 'bout 15kms before Tranquebar by around midnight. I had an an exam on Friday and hence could leave only on Friday night.  I couldn't get tickets in a deluxe bus so had to go in a normal crappy run down pile of junk which was probably made in France during the French Revolution.

Two uneventful journey's later, we met at around 6 am on Saturday.A heavy breakfast later, we followed our guide onto the first spot.

It was between Karaikal and Tranquebar and also somewhere between a river and a cess pool. Only for the truly adventurous or those who have had their TB shots.

We sighted a Goby and and managed to collect a catfish from a small pool of water. This pool had hundreds of these cats swimming around. These were 'bout half an inch in legth and looked really emaciated.

A bad pic to show size when it was collected.I assumed this was an Ariid when first collected. This one has grown to close to two inches since then and has been ID'ed (here on PC) as Mystus gulio.

We then headed to the second spot which was much cleaner.

The second spot.

And the first few swipes bought out a Mystus Sp!!!!!! All of 'em were betwen an inch and two in length (TL). Other fish collected from here were an Aplocheilus Sp, Anabas testudineus, Pseudosphromenus cupanus and a few crabs.

A few kilometres down, we tried collecting again and landed a few Gobies. There were some other fish but only Gobies were collected here.  

Crab from this spot.

We then decided to head to Tranquebar directly. The guide suggested we try at a place where the Cauvery runs into the sea.

Home of the Mystus vittatus. Anyone notice the spelling mistake???

This spot was a few hundred metres away from the beach. En route we saw a small drying pool with a lot of fish trying to swim out.

Hyporhamphus limbatus

Thryssa Sp (???)

Whatever was left of the Cauvery.

Goby from this spot. We lost our photo tank and a large seine at the first spot. So back to using hands to take pictures.

Aplocheilus Sp . A.parvus or A.blockii

Fishing Eagle???

A hermit crab.

The Danish Fort / Museum

Translation anyone???

It was 3 pm by the time we were done with this spot and we were feeling a bit peckish.

A few of us were vegetarian and a few others were with carnivorous intents. Needless to say, I belonged to the former category. So we split for lunch.

Not the five start kind but suited our expectations perfectly.

The kitchen.

Bon appetit. Chicken laced with pepper.

Found a small fish market near where we ate.

Secutor ruconius

ID needed.

ID needed.

ID needed.

The South Indian version of a Cuban cigar. Rolled in a tobacco leaf. If these ever came out in packs, the warning on the cover should be pics from World War II or the Balkans War. Truly hard hitting.

We then decided to head to more fresh water spots.  The first two were not possible to collect in as the river was running in spate.

The third one was ok but the water here was too deep to collect in.

The spot.

A Mantis.

We collected Cardinia gracilirostris, an Aplocheilus Sp and Etroplus maclatus here. Not really a joyous spot for diversity but our guide seemed to running outta spots while the Sun God Rah was busy pulling his chariot across the sky.

Luckily, the next spot turned out to be a goddamn gold mine!!!!!!!  

The spot.

The catch!!!!!!

A blurry video of the Mystus.

Every swipe bought out atleast 2 or 3 Mystus Sp. There is M.vittatus and possibly another species here too. Some do have a comparatively larger adipose I guess its best to wait till they grow up a bit to confirm ID's.

In 'bout twenty minutes of collecting, we had 'bout 40 specimens!!!!! If this is not a gold mine, then nothing is!!!!

Selected a dozen healthy and decent sized ones to bring back. The biggest one was just over 2 inches in length when collected. They are in a grow out tank now. Being fed FBS,Tetra Bits, Hikari Carnivore,JBL Novo Bits and ANS Sting Ray food.Responding well to water changes and growing fairly well. Will try to take a few pics tomorrow and post 'em here.

A friend then sighted a large fish,ran to collect it,collected it, lifted it and killed it. The fish lasted a FEW SECONDS out of the water. One lift and off it went to push the proverbial daisies.

Hyphoramphus xanthopterus. Had a lovely yellow tinged caudal.

Other than this, we collected some Puntius sarana and Puntius sophore from this spot too.

It was 5pm by the time we were done with this spot and we decided to hit one more spot before we wound up for the day.

The final spot was a well shaded part of the river with decent flow. The substrate was primarily fine sand with plants strewn around.

The spot.

Puntius sophore

A lovely Etroplus maculatus.

Pseudosphromenus cupanus

Channa punctata

The first Clariid I have encountered in the wild!!!!!! A baby Hetropneustes fossilis.

A few lovely eels too. About 2 inches in length. Were a fiery red in colour. That s all I remember of 'em. I am unable to recall if they were Mastacemblus or Macrognathus.

With everyone satisfied with the catch, we decided to wind up at 6pm and headed back to Karaikal. Stopped en route at a bar. This was the Union Territory of Pondycherry. The people pay less for booze than most people in the country.

So I bought this beer called 8 . That is it. Its called 8 and is marketed as Triple Strong Beer. And by god the label speaks volumes of truth. The strongest beer I have ever had. Not much taste wise but packs a wallop. Only for the truly bibulous.

Back in the room, we repacked the fish and left for dinner at around 8 pm. Since all of us (mostly me :)) ) were happy with the collection made, we decided to indulge in a little alcohol.

Another strange name. A slightly more drinkable beer.

The biggest selling beer in these parts.

Our version of Chinese cuisine. A rather localised Chicken Lollipop in the front and Chicken 65 in the back. Both are very popular dishes especially in South India. Go well with liquor.

We decided to try sea food for dinner as it is freshly here.Prawns and some fish. The prawns especially were incredible!!!! Definitely among the best I have had.If I were just a little over enthusiastic, I would have gone on to call this Maine.

There were some political incidents happening across the state on that day. So we decided to leave early Sunday morning and collect on the way back.

Left at around 6 am. The first spot we stopped at was useless. The water was extremely fast flowing and very deep too. The second spot was lovely. Proved perfect for collecting.

The spot.

Mystus gulio

Devario malabaricus

Puntius sophore

Channa punctata

And a few more species that we had collected on the previous day.

This was the only spot we collected in and we headed to drop a friend off en route Madras. Stopped for a small visit to his fish farm.

His Etroplus canarensis set up. I love it!!! 22 of 'em in an eight footer. Nothing complex. Just sand,rocks and some wood. There are four or five pairs now. He finds eggs almost twice a week and has managed to raise around fifty to around an inch.

We skipped lunch and headed straight home.I managed to reach home by 6 pm richer by a dozen Mystus.

This place definitely warrants another trip (I realise I say this after all my trips :ymblushing: ). We hardly collected any brackish water fish. Maybe after the monsoons. Most of the spots this time were pools of water.

To part with, a coupla recent ones from another trip.

First time for me.This one's not too bad actually.I love the label too. Would fit in perfectly with a Saxon record.

An old favourite of mine.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Tranquebar

Post by MatsP »

Nice report. There is Kingfisher beer available in England too, but I'm not entirely sure it's actually the same beer (it's quite nice tho').

Edit: Yes, it's the same Kingfisher. Didn't realize they do several different varieties.

--
Mats
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Never realised they were found there. They have quite a few brands under the Kingfisher logo. The Kingfisher Strong is my favourite. Everything else I find too watery and light. They also sponsor an F1 Team. Force India.

You should seriously try Knock Out once.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Not too keen on strong beers - it says 8%. The only quite strong beer I've ever liked was a Stout made at the Ice House in Charleston, SC (a microbrewery). The only reason they had a stout on tap was that the brewmaster liked it, apparently, most people didn't even try it. No idea about the actual alcohol content, but it was quite strong judging by the effect it had!

--
Mats
Iwona
My images: 3
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:9)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Warsaw, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfish, snails, parrots=birds

Post by Iwona »

The first Clariid I have encountered in the wild!!!!!! A baby Hetropneustes fossilis.

Changing the subject... it's my favoured species. Could you say something more about water parameters, temperature etc.? Did you see the parents?
all the best
iwona
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Wow. Must be one of your best trips so far!
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

MatsP wrote:Not too keen on strong beers - it says 8%. The only quite strong beer I've ever liked was a Stout made at the Ice House in Charleston, SC (a microbrewery). The only reason they had a stout on tap was that the brewmaster liked it, apparently, most people didn't even try it. No idea about the actual alcohol content, but it was quite strong judging by the effect it had!

--
Mats
Ah. I don't even remember the last time I tried a Stout. Been too long. There is one Ale I have been wanting to try for sometime now : http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/ ... tled_beer/

Iwona wrote:
Changing the subject... it's my favoured species. Could you say something more about water parameters, temperature etc.? Did you see the parents?
all the best
iwona
Hey Iwona,

We didn't measure water parameters unfortunately. This specimen was collected from under a clump of water hyacinth in a pool formed by the river. Only one specimen was collected. Since it was this small, we expected there would be quite a few more but there were none.

Water temperature should have been around 28C. This was very close to the sea too. Let me check if any of the other people have a picture of the habitat it was collected from.

This is the one I have with me currently.
racoll wrote:Wow. Must be one of your best trips so far!
Ha ha. Yes. Purely based on the number of Mystus collected.
Balaji

Stackdeck
My images: 34
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 15
Location 2: Singapore

Post by Stackdeck »

Can't really (legally) collect many native fw fishes in Singapore, quite jealous of all the collecting trips you go on, great pics and can't wait for the next one.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Stackdeck wrote:Can't really (legally) collect many native fw fishes in Singapore, quite jealous of all the collecting trips you go on, great pics and can't wait for the next one.
Please collect some and and post 'em here. :YMPRAY:

They are illegal to collect because of their status????

A few better pics of the . I will borrow a friend's DSLR this weekend and try to take a few good pics for the Cat E Log.

Ps : Yes yes. This photo tank needs cleaning too.
Balaji

Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Another outstanding trip and thread. I need to start planning a trip to come visit...
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote:I need to start planning a trip to come visit...-Shane
I heard that.

Jools
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Just in time. Our markets are now getting flooded with Carlsberg,Tuborg and Budweiser. If you are the more adventurous kind, you can always go for SNJ 10000 (a new local entrant).

Come over and choose the fish and beer of you choice.

Ps : Jools, I see you have a barb tank and I know Shane has a liking for SE Asian barbs. Madras has 13 species of barbs to offer (http://threatenedtaxa.org/ZooPrintJourn ... 4-1337.pdf). And the Western Ghats are just an overnight journey away................
Balaji

Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Shane wrote:I need to start planning a trip to come visit...-Shane

I heard that.

Jools
I'm in, Balaji and I have already spoken briefly on such things.

Birger
Birger
Stackdeck
My images: 34
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 15
Location 2: Singapore

Post by Stackdeck »

Shovelnose wrote:

Almost all our native freshwater catfish are restricted to the forest streams located in the nature reserve. We have Clarias batrachus, leiacanthus & nieuhofii , Silurichthys hasseltii , Parakysis longirostris and Pseudomystus leiacanthus. Personally I've only seen S.hasseltii , C.batrachus and one of the other two Clariids. Oh and we had Glytothorax fuscus but unfortunately it should be extinct here.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

I'm in, Balaji and I have already spoken briefly on such things.

Birger
Indeed.
Stackdeck wrote:
Shovelnose wrote:

Oh and we had Glytothorax fuscus but unfortunately it should be extinct here.
Oh!!!! Victim of habit destruction I assume???
Balaji

Return to “Travellers note book”