Planiloricaria cryptodon experiences..

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:6)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:3, p:202)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Planiloricaria cryptodon experiences..

Post by characinkid »

Hi

I have managed to find a group of 4 of these wonderful fish.

They have settled down well and are eating flakes and bloodworms well at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas how to sex these? Do they carry there eggs on the lip like many of the others?

How big do they get? Mine are about 7 inches long(excluding tail extensions).. with atleast another 6 inches of extension from the tail.

Any/all info on these would be great. I would love to breed them..
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There is an entire article on these fish in Shane's World.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Iwill read the article after this reply i have know idea how too sex them never noticed the difference however mine were smaller and i didn't have them all that long. however are you sure you have the ID right or is it just what the lfs said? anyway they need lots of food most important when you first get them, and lots of unclutered space with all in all not too many hiding places, make sure they dont go off there food for long as i found. and not too much competition for food would help alot if you want to spawn then. now going to read shanes article.
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:6)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:3, p:202)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Thanks for the replies.

I have already read the article, but it does not give too much info.

I am keeping them in a 55 with very little decor... just a small piece if bogwood.

They have just one other fish.. a flagtail characin (semaprochilodus), who is VERY slow to eat so they have the chance to eat plenty....

I have kept Psuedohemidon before and am treating them just like them at the moment.

As far as ID, I have checked it on this site and have seen them before so I am positive this is them.

Thanks....

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”