HELP: Zygatus pales in comparision!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

HELP: Zygatus pales in comparision!

Post by philtre »

hiyah all ....

nopes ... it's not about ow they're not cute enough ... they're great. I've got one little zygatus's that's been looking pale for the last two days. It's colours are less vibrant......... PALE! That's the only way I know to describe it. He looks pake in comparision to the other zygatus. Noticed it yesterday, and he's still looking a little pale today. Didn't notice if he's eating as usual. Is he okie? How to make him feel better if he's not?

Anyone?
:cry:
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Can be due to a stressfull condition, have you add or done anything special!
He is breathing fast?
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
philtre

Post by philtre »

hi Yann,

no change to tank in the past few days. everyone else in the tank seems fine though. kinda worried for the little fella. :oops:

btw, I've been wanting to ask this. how fast is too fast fro cories? breathing I mean. I read somewhere that the cories shouldn't be breathing too fast ... but they didnt' state how fast was fast or anything else.

probably will do a water change later.

thanks!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

What temperature is the tank? this will effect you C. zygatus's colour especially if the water is to warm. Anything above 74 degrees F is to warm

Ian
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well if the fish look like the only thing he does is breathing and can't really concentrate on anything else, if its mouth keep opening and closing at fast speeding!

Is this Cory the smallest in the tank?
Does he eat well?
How the setup is?
Cheers
Yann
Bathos
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

i hope i'm not insulting you here, but how do the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate look? best to test because some fish are more sensative than others and will show stress before the rest. have you noticed anyone picking on him? are you adding anything extra to the tank (such as medications)? any new decorations recently?
-Liz
philtre

Post by philtre »

hi all ....

thanks very much for your posts.

as mentioned, he was the only fella to be looking kinda pale. The temperature's probably higher than 74degF but then again, they tank raised ... so it shouldn't be that bad.

setup is bare tank with a few fistful of gravelfor them to play around in. no new decorations, nothing done to the tank. Just the internal filter, the gravel ... and that's it. definately no meds. I've yet to see any cory pick on another ... maybe I just haven't spent enough time staring at the cories (??? :mrgreen: ) sooo ..... bullying's out.

he is indeed one of the smaller ones. got three of them who are slightly smaller than the rest in the group ....

oh well ... he's looking better today ..... doubt we'll be able to come up with anything concrete would we?
Yann

Post by Yann »

Bathos wrote:i hope i'm not insulting you here, but how do the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate look? best to test because some fish are more sensative than others and will show stress before the rest. have you noticed anyone picking on him? are you adding anything extra to the tank (such as medications)? any new decorations recently?
-Liz
Hi!
Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate: this could be a concern of course, but all the fish would show sign of problem and not just one!
Cheers
Yann
philtre

Post by philtre »

Hi yann,

thanks .... that's what bugged me. Just the little fella .... maybe he just needs to be beefed up ....

:shock:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”