What Synodontis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Syno12
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Maryland

What Synodontis

Post by Syno12 »

Lately I have started thinking about redoing my 36 gallon bowfront tank, but can't decide on a synodontis.

I was thinking : 2 Pelvicachormis pulcher (Kribensis), 6 Phenacogrammus interruptus (Congo tetras), and either 4-5 Synodontis Nigriventris (Upside-down catfish) or 1 Synodontis Eupterus (Featherfin catfish). Decor includes black flourite, a sand beach in the front, many plants (tiger lotus, bacopa monneri, echinodorus, hydrocotyle, water sprite, etc.) + rocks and driftwood. Dual T5HO lights (or medium light) but there are some floating plants and an extra 6500K 23 watt desk lamp floresent. Just can't decide on the right synodontis.
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Re: What Synodontis

Post by unblinded »

Synodontis euptera have a reputation for eating smaller tetras. Congo tetras should be out of danger as adults, though. Why not try Synodontis Angelica or Synodontis flavitaeniata?
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 111
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

A few things to think over:

You will find the tank too small for Phenacogrammus interruptus...they need space to be at their best and to see the males running back and forth across a large tank is the way to keep them.

You would also find the tank to small for the (and angelica)

The would work and are one of my fav's, this tank would be perfect for a larger group(12 or more) of , that is how I think they are at their best.

Also when you get some substrate spawning cichlids such as Kribs that decide to spawn in the tank this can create mayhem, and the cats suffer, you would really have to keep an eye on them.

Birger
Birger
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

If you are staying with the 36g. I would reconsider the species of fishes. Diamond tetras(moenkhausia pitteri) might be a better alternative to congo tetras, and Apistogrammas sp. might be better then Pelvichromis sp. Then a small school S. negriventris or S. flaviteaniata might work.

If you are willing to go with a larger tank(@100g), then the fish you are thinking about might work with a more robust species such as S. robbianus, S. eupterus or S. schoutedeni.

Keep in mind that the fish you mentioned are what I consider 'semi-agressive'. Congo tetras have a set of very crisp mandibular teeth they like to use on smaller fish, fins, and will supplement their diet with some species of plants.
Pelvichromis sp. as mentioned above, will want to pair up and breed. Which means any fish, and particularly substrate fish (ie.catfish), will be viewed as potential nest robbers and summarily attacked. This is added stress you don't need in a small tank.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Aside from the points made above on the tetras & cichlids, there are some wonderful small african barbs available. Some smaller african tetras too from time to time.

As far as Synos go, i'd suggest:

A dozen nigriventris or contracta or Mochokiella or Microsynodontis sp.
Half a dozen Congica (do not get notata by mistake!)Robertsi, Flavitaeniata or Batesi
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Syno12

Post by Syno12 »

Anyone heard of synodontis acanthoperca? The current should be strong enough to keep the congos or one-lined tetras busy, and I'm sticking with all african fish, so unless there are better cichlids (beside lamporogus) than kribs, I'm sticking with them.
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Syno12 wrote:Anyone heard of synodontis acanthoperca? .
I don't think these have ever been imported.

Syno12

Post by Syno12 »

Oh well, they just caught my attention, plus they are endemic to a small stream. I've got another idea for the tank.

How about: 2 Neolamprologus multisfasciatus, 6 Neolamprologus brichardi, and 4 Synodontis lucipinnis with Java fern, Anubias, Vallisnersia, and some Cryptocoroyne and possibly Echinodorus. All rocks with caves and crevases in between them for the Brichardi, and snail shells for the Multis. What do you guys think, which tank?
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

A couple of factors come to mind: 1) water, is the water in your home coming in hard or soft. 2) Availability of stock, what do the suppliers in your area usually have available? Are you willing to place orders or just want to by from a LFS?

If your tapwater is hard of course the African rift tank would be a better choice.
As far as local suppliers go; in general, here in the states, groups of west african syno's are just a little bit harder to come by.
But I don't know what its like in Maryland. African rift lake species seem to be more available in general.

Finally, this is a catfish forum so I would suggest you pick a syno that you really like and build a biotope around it. It may take some time but you'll be that much more focused and derive that much more pleasure in the process.
Syno12

Post by Syno12 »

I almost forgot that this is a catfish website, thanks naturalart! I'm sticking to lucippinus, so I'll stick to a tangynikian tank, and I've got well water, its hard water, so no way I'm keeping negriventris in there.
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Nigriventris do fine in hard water

Return to “African Catfishes”