Lower Xingu Project

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SilverDub
Location 2: Essex, England
Interests: Tropical Fish, natural world, rugby to name a few.

Lower Xingu Project

Post by SilverDub »

Later this month I am building my dream biotope (I only have the 1 tank so need to make it a good one).
The tank is currently coming into the 4th week of cycling.

The tank is 60x18x24 and will be home to species from the Lower Xingu close to the Volte Grande rapids where they end at Porto Altamira. It is my intention to keep a selection catfish, characins & cichlids. I have spent the best part of 10 months planning and researching this project.

The area is mainly made up of a balsalt type bed rock and features huge rocky out crops and boulder stacks, this is where many Loricads from this region occur & breed. To replicate scale I will be using 5 very large monolith type pieces of grey slate and scottish pink skiff, each piece is approx 20-26" long and 3-4" thick, to create crevices for the plecos I'm using small pieces of slate (the sort used for making decorative features in gardens). The inspiration for this project came from my group of 10 wild Hypancistrus Zebra which live tight in the crevices around this area. It is also a tribute to the region sadly is in grave danger from the Belo Monte Dam

I currently have the following fish which are being looked after by a freind:
10 Hypancistrus Zebra L46 (unsure of ratios) but I've 1 succesful spawn)
2 Baryancistrus Xanthellus L18 (juv.) 2-3"
1 Scobiancistrus Aureatus L14 (juv.) 4"
1 Panaque Armbrusteri 'Xingu' L27 (juv.) 4"
1 Squaliforma Emarginata (juv.) 4"
5 Tatia Intermedia (breeding group)

As a dither fish I will be using Hyphessbrycon Pulchripinnis - Lemon Tetras as they occur in the Lower Xingu close to my target area.

I am in the process of importing some very rare fish direct from the region
Geophagus Altifrons 'Xingu'
" " 'Sao Felix''
The Geos won't be mixed and I will only keep one of the races.
5/6 Acnodon Normani - Sheep Pacu
5 Hassar Orestis - type of dora

I'm on the look out for Crenicichla Sp. Xingu II (juv.) which hoping to find F1s in the UK, I doubt I'll get them, but quite Teleocichla instead.

I have given a lot thought to this project and the stock fish, I know many will be concerned with this but I really am trying to replicate a snapshot of nature and hope to witness some natural behaviour from this project.

If anyone has any input or knows of any fish from this region in the UK please let me know?
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Re: Lower Xingu Project

Post by David R »

Sounds like a cool project, I'd love to have access to fish of known providence. I presume the tank dimensions are in inches, and hopefully it is 18" high and 24" wide and not the other way around as you have a lot of bottom dwellers. Looking forward to seeing some pics!
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

If it were me, I would keep the L46 separate from the other fish you have (yes, I'm one of the "concerned"). If you only have one tank, maybe a divider to keep the L46 on one side, and the other fish on the other (for the divider, plastic/glass; or maybe you could try foam and attach a powerhead to it to provide extra biological filtration and current)? Hopefully without the the larger aggressive fish (except a few small dithers; I worry the lemons may still be too big), you'll see the L46 more often.

Good luck and post pics!
SilverDub
Location 2: Essex, England
Interests: Tropical Fish, natural world, rugby to name a few.

Post by SilverDub »

Thanks for your feedback guys. Tank is 18" wide sadly, I'm aware of potential adult sizes but am experienced in there growing nature.

My Zebs have always lived bigger boisterous fish (including Psuedas :-O ) most recently during the experimental fphase of this (in 350ltr tank) they lived and spawned with 6 very boisterous Red Hook Metynis, and an 8" L14 which I sold to raise the tank purchase money. The mix of fish doesn't concern me as they all have there place in the environment. There should be little competition for food as they feed in different areas, food will always get into the big (big enough H Zebra & Tatia but to small for most others) crevices where the Loricads are living & feeding. And the Geos & Acnodon will only be 7-8cm when they initially go in so it will be like a nursery pool.

Rest assured Linus, if ANYTHING threatens or endangers the Zebs it will be removed! They are to important to risk. But then, all the fish I'm hoping to keep are ecologically important, with exception to L18 & S Emarginata which are found elsewhere away from the threatened habitats.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”