Rain Water

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Rain Water

Post by Yann »

Hi!
I ha dposted this in the previous forum, but i think it wil be good as wel here.
I know some of you are collecting rain water to use it to replace the water you just change in the tank.
I have heard that you shall not start collect before two hooours of rain to let the polluted material been wash out, but what about acid rain and stuff. What do you do to make your water as less harmfull as possible for your fish. I would like to start using such type of water, becaus eit can be really benefical for breeding some fish, but I don't want either to lose them!
Any suggestion about how and when this should be collected. What else do you do to this water, do you add anything ...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Rain water is good providing where you live the rainfall is not subjected to industrial polution. It will need filtering, I collect from my house and fish house roofs, it passes through a home made gravel and wool filter to remove any sediment it washes of the roofs before being stored in 200 ltr barells. It is best to collect some when it starts to rain and then some more after it has been raining for a while and test them for impurities. The big advantage with rain water is that it has not been chemically treated like mains water is and who really knows whats in that.

Ian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi
Coryman wrote:Rain water is good providing where you live the rainfall is not subjected to industrial polution.
Ian
Ok so I must sort of forget about it as with the density of Switzerland, and when you look how bad the forests are due to acid rain...

But it seem to work way better than R/O water...it hassomething that R/O does not!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “Tank Talk”