silurus glanis barbels grow back?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Redtail83
Location 2: UK

silurus glanis barbels grow back?

Post by Redtail83 »

Hi, will barbels on silurus glanis grow back if it's been damaged half way?

Regards,
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: silurus glanis barbels grow back?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet!

Most usually catfish's barbels grow back fine. Them and the fins and skin are often damaged in the wild too and grow back/together/heal just fine when the fish is healthy and not stressed, its immune system is strong, and the water quality is good.

If a barbel breaks off close to the base or the wound gets inflamed, as would be indicated by redness and swelling, that may or may not result in some kind of permanent damage.

It'd be nice to learn about your fish-keeping and see pics!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Welcome to the Forum redtail83.

As per Viktors info.
these should grow back fine, although occasionally they may grow make at slighty different angles to previoulsy or you may even get a "split whisker" where the damaged whisker regenerates as a forked pair. You see that quite often in S. Glanis b-)
If however the whisker is damaged at the base it may be lost permanately
Redtail83

Post by Redtail83 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. Looks like you need a license in the UK for one of these beasts.

Why I was asking, is because I caught one fishing last year and it had half a barb.

I'm going to start a thread again to see what cats you can get for UK ponds.

Regards,
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yeah, you need a license. There are at least half a dozen of members here and on MFK from GB who keep a wels (that I came across, so there must be more). So it is doable. You need a license to have a TV, right? So, you guys are probably more used to it than many others...
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol

Post by racoll »

Might be best to move this part of the discussion to the other thread?
Viktor Jarikov wrote:There are at least half a dozen of members here and on MFK from GB who keep a wels (that I came across, so there must be more). So it is doable.
I wonder how many of these people actually have a licence, and how easy the licence is to get? Seeing as most commercial fisheries now seem to stock wels, the licences can't be too hard to get for a hobbyist, especially if the pond is not at risk of flooding. Here is the info: https://www.gov.uk/non-native-fish-and-shellfish.
Viktor Jarikov wrote:You need a license to have a TV, right?
Correct. It is assumed that if you have a TV, you watch the BBC, which in 99.99999% of cases is probably true. Therefore to support advertising-free broadcasting on the BBC, the money is charged via a compulsory licence (unless you claim not to have a TV, or that the TV you have isn't used for watching live broadcasts). Although people moan when the price goes up, they tolerate this situation because they get access to high quality, advertisement-free news and entertainment. If people generally didn't support it, the system would have gone a long time ago, I think.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Note that the licence only applies to England and Wales, Scotland has a different licence and IIRC different species lists although the wels is treated the same. No idea about NI.

www.snh.gov.uk/docs/B1115358.pdf

Jools

Return to “Other Catfishes”