Red tail catfish hybrid setup

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Yannick
Location 2: Nailsea

Red tail catfish hybrid setup

Post by Yannick »

Hello

I am setting up a red tail catfish hybrid tank it is 6 foot will be moving him into a pond when he is to big.
My main question is can you use gravel the catfish is 10 to 15 cm long i don't like sand so it is bare bottom or gravel.
Any other advice would be great
Cheers

Yann
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Red tail catfish hybrid setup

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet!

Swallow-able gravel is normally not recommended. Either sand, or large rocks, or bare bottom. Although not often but fishes like RTC, TSN, and RTCxTSN hybrid can swallow some gravel intentionally or not. It may lead to anything, ranging from no symptoms at all, to mild clogging or slowing in digestion, to bloat, to insurmountable clog=death.

Here is one example where the keeper was real skillful and lucky to have saved his TSN that had swallowed ~70 pebbles: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 93#p253193
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Re: Red tail catfish hybrid setup

Post by Redtailrob »

My far the best way to maintain these set-ups is a bare bottom.
Doesn't look great but best for the fish. Sand tends to end up the filters & gravel generally traps dirt, waste products etc.
These large PIMS have also been known (for whatever reason) to swallow gravel which can lead to causes of impaction/bloating/death.
Good luck with your purchase & feel free to ask for any more info?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”