Please help my glass catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Cea199512
Location 2: China

Please help my glass catfish

Post by Cea199512 »

I bought this guy three days ago and I found nothing wrong in the begining.After one day,this one became active and always swam near the water surface.I thought it was caused by low oxygen in water or it had parasites in its gill.So I have used methylene blue to treat it for two days.It is still alive but looks really hard to survive.Its spine always remains a bending shape.I do not know what it is that caused its illness.Please help it,please.
PA041186.JPG
PA041186.JPG
PA041186.JPG
Attachments
PA041189.JPG
PA041187.JPG
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Please help my glass catfish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet! It looks gruesome. Please, provide water parameters - NH3, NO2, NO3, pH, and temp. Indicate what test kit you use. Is the aeration most certainly sufficient? Ideally, here is the wish-list of the things that need to be conveyed to the forum when asking for medicinal help/ideas: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... -posting-) Providing this info is extremely helpful to others to help you and your pet.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Cea199512

Post by Cea199512 »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Welcome to the Planet! It looks gruesome. Please, provide water parameters - NH3, NO2, NO3, pH, and temp. Indicate what test kit you use. Is the aeration most certainly sufficient? Ideally, here is the wish-list of the things that need to be conveyed to the forum when asking for medicinal help/ideas: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... -posting-) Providing this info is extremely helpful to others to help you and your pet.
Sorry,the tools used to test water parameters are not easy to buy in my city(this is a depressing truth in most cities in China ).I can just provide the temp,it is 78.8°F in the daytime and 71.6°F at night.I have other four glass catfish.They all looks great.This one is the only one to get sick.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

If the four others are in the same tank and look and feed well, then there is less worry. This looks as if he is half-paralyzed, that is his brain and/or central nervous system is affected. Could be bacterial, could be parasitic. Of course, I am just throwing wild guesses; really, it's hard to say. I'd keep a close eye on the remaining four.

IMO, the daily temp swing is too much. IDK about these fish, maybe it is normal for them (it may be ok for some fish, I was told by experts) but most do not tolerate well such big daily temperatures variations.

Can you not find and buy a test kit on-line?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Cea199512

Post by Cea199512 »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:If the four others are in the same tank and look and feed well, then there is less worry. This looks as if he is half-paralyzed, that is his brain and/or central nervous system is affected. Could be bacterial, could be parasitic. Of course, I am just throwing wild guesses; really, it's hard to say. I'd keep a close eye on the remaining four.

IMO, the daily temp swing is too much. IDK about these fish, maybe it is normal for them (it may be ok for some fish, I was told by experts) but most do not tolerate well such big daily temperatures variations.

Can you not find and buy a test kit on-line?
Maybe.The ill one has dead and the rest four are great.Thanks for your help.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”