Catfish for a 180

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Catfish for a 180

Post by Divemaster »

I've been brainstorming ideas for my future 180 gallon (72" x 24" x 24") lately and figured this would be the best place to ask about this option.

I'm already growing out a sailfin pleco pleco in my 75 so it would have to be part of the stock.

In addition to the pleco I'd be looking for another 1-3 additional catfish, I want big, hungry, "mean", monster catfish but it would have to get along with my pleco and be ok in the tank for life.

I'm open to any suggestions but nothing smaller than 16"
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Catfish for a 180

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Temporary or for life? I don't think, in general, 16" fish in an ~23"-wide tank would arouse many opinions that you are needing here.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Temporary or for life? I don't think, in general, 16" fish in an ~23"-wide tank would arouse many opinions that you are needing here.
Well I take that back. Let's say at least 12 or 13 inches but it has to have an attitude.
DBam
My cats species list: 10 (i:2, k:4)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 8
Location 1: BC
Location 2: Canada

Catfish for a 180

Post by DBam »

Glass or acrylic tank? This may make more of a difference to a potential stock list than you're aware of, unless you're already aware. Loricarids don't go well with acrylic (to varying degrees). Despite how much heavier glass tanks are, they may offer more stocking options. Since this is still a hypothetical tank, can you elaborate on what tank you intend to buy, what kind of space and floor it is going on, and any other desirable species besides your current pleco?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hey Sean, I was going to propose S. elongatus, sun cat, syno euptera, etc., but it seems you are looking for something more "special"? Can look at Chrysichthys ornatus, or the rarely kept fish from the genus of Aguarunichthys, Pimelodus ornatus, Trachelyopterus galeatus (mine is 12" TL), jaguar (Liosomadoras oncinus), gulper, ompok, Hemibagrus nemurus (if that's what it is according to Silurus' new revision, IDK; mine is 5+ years old and has been at 1' TL for 3 years), etc.

You can filter the Cat-eLog by size too - close, closer, same - as have much fun reading and learning too :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

DBam wrote:Glass or acrylic tank? This may make more of a difference to a potential stock list than you're aware of, unless you're already aware. Loricarids don't go well with acrylic (to varying degrees). Despite how much heavier glass tanks are, they may offer more stocking options. Since this is still a hypothetical tank, can you elaborate on what tank you intend to buy, what kind of space and floor it is going on, and any other desirable species besides your current pleco?
Are you talking scratches? Please, elaborate. Just want to learn. All I've known so far is that big "plecos" of 2'-3' can damage acrylic with the spikes on their fins when attempting a digging behavior. They can "scratch" out significant valleys / depressions in the acrylic, usually bottom pane.

Are you thinking teeth marks?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
DBam

Post by DBam »

Viktor you basically summed up what I was concerned about with an acrylic tank. The pleco he has would probably need a glass tank, and a tank of that weight would need to go in a space which has a floor rated to hold it. I know it's pretty basic stuff, but I still see people putting larger tanks on second floors without knowing that they're exceeding load limits. Guys who put plecos in their big acrylic tanks usually end up regretting it; I know a few who have just clouded glass but still need to empty and strip the tank down to clear it. I see many more 180 acrylics than 180 glass for sale around my area. Just wanted to point out some points that should be worked into the planning, the virtual window shopping for fish is usually the easier part.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

So you mean rasping the tank walls with teeth then. Not casting a shadow but this is the first time I've learned this. I believe you. How wide-spread of a problem you think this is? I am not a pleco guy as you likely have already figured out :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I think it would depend on the species of pleco, but some are rather active in this field.

I'm not a pleco man either - see below. The odd thing is, in America acrylic tanks are morte or less normal, in Europe they are not - as they ar much more expensive than glass. I think in otherparts ofthe world it is the same - arylic tanks is something American

Therefore quite a large part of the worlds experiences are in areas where an acrylic tank is simply not an option
cats have whiskers
DBam

Post by DBam »

Thanks for pointing out the difference in acrylic popularity in Europe, Bas. Viktor, unfortunately I couldn't tell you how widespread, just that it happens. Most of the local guys I know only house aros, stingrays, datnoids and similar monster company in their bigger acrylic tanks. There's good potential for a panaque or pseudacanthicus to ruin an acrylic tank pretty quick, and they were the first cats that came to mind for EverythingFish; I guess I approached the question as a pleco guy and thought of the most aggressive plecos.

I think Viktor nailed it for suggestions. At that tank size it's still too small for nigers, TSNs, jurunese, or tigrinus. Sun cats are fun. If you're not limiting to only catfish, then I would suggest knife fish, particularly the banded or tiger knives. The tigers are more aggressive and have a more stunning pattern. Then there are always cichlids.....
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

It would be acrylic. I could upgrade fish at a later point but it'd be about 10 years before I can hope to get bigger than a 180 :)
DBam

Post by DBam »

A lot can change in 10 years. So far there's a (tentative?) plan for a 180 so let's work with that. I would be a little concerned with a larger pleco rasping on and scratching up an acrylic tank. Anyways, are there any species that has captured your interest or maybe something from the suggestions listed that gets you excited?
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

Irwinis, Tigs, and Bullheads are catfish I've dreamt of being able to keep.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Bullheads that stay smaller may be attempted in a 180.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”