catfish aggression

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
foskett96
Location 2: Australia

catfish aggression

Post by foskett96 »

hi i currently have 3 featherfin syndontis catfish (synodontis eruptus) one which is 8 inches and the other two are 5-6inches. they have been living peacefully with the larger one occassionally chasing the smaller ones ever now and then for over a year now. Recently i acquired 2 large salmontail catfish (one at 12inches and the other at 10inches) from a owner who was keeping them in a very small fish tank and he couldnt take care of them anymore. I have noticed that the synodontis cats dont seem to be too fond of the salmontail catfish and seem to be biting or trying to bit them. the salmontails show no aggression to them and just swim off. Is this a normal thing that will pass as the salmontails have only been in the tank for about 18 hours?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: catfish aggression

Post by Silurus »

This is frequently a problem when you have fish that have established territories (the Synodontis) encountering newcomers (the salmontails). Rearranging the tank decor may help.
foskett96

Post by foskett96 »

Silurus wrote:This is frequently a problem when you have fish that have established territories (the Synodontis) encountering newcomers (the salmontails). Rearranging the tank decor may help.
i thought that may help. I will probably do this at the same time time out some decorations, Do you think the syndodontis could do serious damage to the salmontails?
foskett96

Post by foskett96 »

I believe they may be eating the salmontail a slime coat

Return to “Other Catfishes”