Advice About My New Cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Advice About My New Cat

Post by Divemaster »

I've always wanted a bullhead of any species, it's pretty much been my dream fish since day one. Well I was failing the other day, caught a small one, and had my minnow bucket it with me so you can kind if piece together what happened :). So now I've got a 4" Yellow Bullhead in quarantine in a 14 gallon bin (I'm changing and checking water daily and there's a seeded filter on it) on my floor. It will soon be going into my 75 gallon tank as a growout, once to big it'll be going into a tank in the 150-240 gallon range. The only thing is, it'll have a bunch of snacks, I mean tankmates in with it. I'm giving the cichlids I have in the tank to a friend next week so they won't be a problem. However by the time a move the bullhead into the tank it will be living with: 6 giant danios (2.5-3.5"), 1 Striped Raph (3.75"), and a gibbiceps pleco (4"). I'm nearly certain the danios will soon be viewed as food and I'm prepared to move them out of the tank in a month or two once the bullhead starts eyeing them up. Although I can't really downgrade my raph or pleco so I'm in need of advice from you guys. I asked about it on MFK and from the responses I was getting it sounds like the raph and pleco are to spiny for the bullhead to even attempt to eat but my concern is that once the bullhead tremendously outgrows the other cats that it could potentially swallow the other cats whole. Which would lead to me loosing some nice fish and someone else in the house killing the bullhead because it ate her favorite fish (I think she might be serious to :)). I don't think I'll run into any problems but I just wanted to get your guys opinions on whether the bullhead will probably or probably won't try to eat the raph and pleco. Thanks for the help!
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Advice About My New Cat

Post by naturalart »

i don't think you have much to worry about. It will be a while before your bullhead will be big enough to eat either of your other bottom dwellers. I may try to peck at your rapheal cat, but it is probably too well armed to have to worry about the bullhead.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Re: Advice About My New Cat

Post by Divemaster »

Ok thanks! Hopefully the raphael and pleco will grow with the bullhead. I'm trying to get my raph to grow faster but I have an extremely odd one: he ONLY eats shrimp pellets or algae wafers. Can't get him to touch frozen or live!

Return to “Other Catfishes”