Best BLACK sand for cory

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
WadeWilson
Location 2: Peterborough, UK

Best BLACK sand for cory

Post by WadeWilson »

Hi guys, my first post on the forum so just a quick run down on me and the situation.

I've recently purchased a second hand juwel rio 180, I plan to have around 12 Cory and a pleco eventually.

I'd really like black sand, that will be safe with the Cory and stay black.

I've been pointed towards limpopo but I'm not overly kean on it as it's not pure black like I desire.

I've heard of the moon sand also, but I'd like some advice from somebody with experience.

Thanks guys

Deadpool aka WW
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: Best BLACK sand for cory

Post by Supercorygirl »

I've used the caribsea super naturals tahitian moon sand and never had an issue with it. Mine is now mixed with playsand because I have malaysian trumpet snails as what I did was use it as a top layer on the playsand.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
WadeWilson
Location 2: Peterborough, UK

Post by WadeWilson »

Supercorygirl wrote:I've used the caribsea super naturals tahitian moon sand and never had an issue with it. Mine is now mixed with playsand because I have malaysian trumpet snails as what I did was use it as a top layer on the playsand.
See I very much do like the look of the Tahitian Moon sand, however there's a mixed review in regards to keeping Cory with it. Some claim it is sharp and damages the Cory. But I do like it, this is the sort of black I want!
Atmichaels
My cats species list: 27 (i:26, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:2, p:112)
Location 2: Michigan, USA

Post by Atmichaels »

I've used the above mentioned sand for both cories and scleromystax for going on two years now without any barbell erosion or other adverse reactions. Just my experience, for what it's worth.
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

I use the Carib Sea Tahitian Moon black sand also not only do I sea less barbell erosion than I did with gravel but it also looks fantastic. If you do like I do and only use about 1/2 inch you don't have to vacuum the gravel when doing water changes as the corys keep it stirred up well enough when they root around in it
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

I'd be careful with using black sand in cory tanks for a long period of time. Yes, they are pleasant to look at but these are really unnatural for the cories. Run your fingers through a bucket of these black sand and you'll notice that these aren't real sand.
Used Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand in one of my Sterbai tank and Red Flint Sand in another Sterbai tank. Six out of the twenty Sterbais in black sand tank lost their barbells in about three weeks compared to zero out of sixteen in the Red Flint Sand. Based on this experience, I stopped using this type of sand for my cories and I never saw barbells lost again. Good luck.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Take a bucket, fill it for 30 % with the sand which is to be tested, en top it off with water.

Then you'll stirr it with a hand for 5 minutes, and look at your hand.

Is it bloody? Lookinglike it had been sanded? The sand is not ft for Cories

Does it look like you could have gone on for another 30 minutes without any problem? Only then will the sand be accepable.

Your hand will heal in a week time. At least, mine did
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”